Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I am thinking to replace my rack & pinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:43 PM
HCF Member
Default I am thinking to replace my rack & pinion

Hello,

I have Civic '94(D15B7) and I am sure that I lost my power steering.
Couple people told me that the rack & pinion need to be changed.
I'm planning to get one either from a junk yard or get rebuilt one from Auto Zone.
What do you suggest?
As a begginer can I do all the labor. I have service manula for my model.
I doubt it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Default RE: I am thinking to replace my rack & pinion

well if you have power steering now, and something is bad in the system, ie lines the pump, leaks etc. then fix that before you spend the money on a new rack.

me personnally i would delete the power steering and buy a full manual rack, that way its less drag on your engine, and you get better steering response imo.

and a manual rack is probably cheaper in the long run and less hassle.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 PM

yeah fix what caused it to go bad first, because if you don't if will cause it to be ruined in short order.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:25 AM
HCF Member

I've heard that is no good to drive with no power steering, or especialy broken power steering like mine.
Also if I decide to sell the car who the hell will buy a car stock with power steering that now is without?!?

Also how to find out what's wrong, if it's inside the rack?
Every body tell me to replace the entire rack & pinion, because is cheaper then to repair what's wrong.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Usually the rack leaks, all the fluid goes out and then the pump burns up. If the car has gone to the point where the power steering has completely failed, both the rack and pump should be replaced. Or you could convert to a new or used manual rack and take out the pump and lines. If you do replace it back to power steering, be sure to clean out the lines and reservoir because they probably have bits of metal in them from the old pump. Also don't use generic PS fluid, must be Honda spec or the seals will leak.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

i dont really like my civic not having power steering, i would rather it had it to be honest but the people that had it before me removed it you know.

Eric.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

Usually the rack leaks, all the fluid goes out and then the pump burns up. If the car has gone to the point where the power steering has completely failed, both the rack and pump should be replaced. Or you could convert to a new or used manual rack and take out the pump and lines. If you do replace it back to power steering, be sure to clean out the lines and reservoir because they probably have bits of metal in them from the old pump. Also don't use generic PS fluid, must be Honda spec or the seals will leak.
Thanks for the many advices!

I think my pump is O.K. and I have PS fluid to the proper level.
Just when I turn the steering wheel does not go back like it should, you know what I mean.
Olso when outside is too cold like in the winter, especialy under 32*F my steering wheel is hard like rock,
until the car warms up, and then everything is O.K. ?!?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 PM

i've had that problem before, even if you think the pump is ok, if you replace the rack and don't replace the steering pump, it may still fail as metal from the rack will find its way back to the power steering pump and basically burn it up. if you don't replace it, make sure you flush the lines out.