Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to wire up some cold cathodes under the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Default How to wire up some cold cathodes under the dash?

Hey guys, I'm completely new to the forums here b/c I just bought my first Honda Civic and I love it already. It's a 2005 EX Special Edition and it's the nicest car I have owned as of yet.

Anyways, I'd like to add some personality to it, and I thought what better way than lighting up my floors with some blue cathode tubes. I love blue and I like the way that looks inside of a car.

My only problem is that I have done hardly any wiring period in my life and I have done zero on cars in general. I have a good foundation of understanding and I know how to solder well, but my problem is that I don't know where/how to tap into power in my car.

I would like to hard wire the 2 cathode tubes that I have. I will place one under the driver's dash (above the feet), and one under the passenger's dash (also above the feet).

Therefor, what is the best way to wire these bad boys up? I have done a lot of reading and I have seen suggestions such as the cigarette lighter, or fuse box, or ignition column, etc. etc. Well I tried looking in my car and I don't know how to get to the wires that go to the cigarette lighter.. I don't want to try ripping the plastic panel off for fear of damaging something.

I did, however, easily locate the fuse box and it looks like it is in a great position for what I am wanting to do. I am open to suggestions and any advice from experienced members here, but please keep in mind that I am a newbie when it comes to wiring cars, so if you say something like "tap the fuse box" or whatever, PLEASE explain what you mean and how to do it! You are dealing with a person who has next to zero knowledge and experience on this subject, but I have been reading up on it since about 10am this morning when I got the idea for the cathodes.

Also as a complete side note, I was thinking of replacing my license plate bulbs and the interior dome lights with LED's. Anything I should know about that? Like, will I get warnings on my dash, or will the dome lights stay on constantly, etc. etc... this is a lower priority question but I figured it's better to ask here than create another thread. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM

You can replace the bulbs you mentioned with LEDs. I recommend superbrightleds.com

And yea, the cigarette lighter is the best way to do the cathodes. Instead of chickening out, why don't you just ask how to access the wires to it?

You should just use some LED strips though... much more durable, easier to place, etc.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Ok, how do I access those wires to the cigarette lighter? Also, my friend said it might be a good idea to put the lights on their own circuit...

Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Find an empty slot in your fuse box for some option your car doesn't have, that has power on one contact. Put a new fuse (5 amp would be plenty) in there with a fuse tap clip bringing the wire out from the other end of the fuse, so the power from the live wire in the car needs to pass through the fuse first. You now have a new circuit.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM

^Right.

I would make sure that it's a fuse slot that is only live with the key turned to at least accessory.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Find an empty slot in your fuse box for some option your car doesn't have, that has power on one contact. Put a new fuse (5 amp would be plenty) in there with a fuse tap clip bringing the wire out from the other end of the fuse, so the power from the live wire in the car needs to pass through the fuse first. You now have a new circuit.
Okay, sounds good.. how do I know which contact of the fuse box actually has power going to it so I don't accidentally tap the wrong one? Also is using a pre-existing one like the cigarette lighter ok? Or do I really need to use an empty one..

Old 07-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Use a voltmeter or test light. If using an existing fuse pull it out. Turn the key on if necessary. Probe each contact in the box, with the other probe on ground. Again you want your new wire on the contact that is not live when the fuse is pulled out.

You can use an existing fuse. Your new stuff will add to whatever the stock stuff on the fuse draws. Do not put in a larger fuse. With LED's you should be fine because LED's use very little current.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Use a voltmeter or test light. If using an existing fuse pull it out. Turn the key on if necessary. Probe each contact in the box, with the other probe on ground. Again you want your new wire on the contact that is not live when the fuse is pulled out.

You can use an existing fuse. Your new stuff will add to whatever the stock stuff on the fuse draws. Do not put in a larger fuse. With LED's you should be fine because LED's use very little current.
Great that answered my question perfectly man. I have a multimeter so that will be easy to test for. You said "do not put in a larger fuse".. well my fuse box uses those "mini" fuses I think, I don't know how I could put anything bigger in there, but is it ok to put another fuse in-line after the fuse box?

fox example: battery>>>>>fuse box>>>>>+ of fuse>>>>>- of fuse>>>>>fuse tap>>>>>5 amp fuse>>>>>cathode lights

Is that additional fuse necessary or even a good idea?