Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to make a winter front for your civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Default How to make a winter front for your civic

Note: This may not apply to all civic generationsbut I'm sure some of you are clever enough to rig your own up. My car is a '93 EG.

In case you wonder what a winterfront is, it's a device that restricts the flow air through your radiator so that your car warms up faster in the winter and runs warmer as you drive around.I usually installone when the temperature drops below -15C or 5F depending where you live.

Anyway this is something I figured out about three years ago and thought I should share it with the rest of you. Especially for all of you who live in the colder climates such as myself. Don't ask me how I gotthe inspiration for thisbut it must have been at beer # 5 or 6, and damn cold out. It's alsohidden so it won't make your car look stupid like those guys that wire cardboard to the front of their cars.

Step#1 Buy a case of beer (this really is an excuse to buy beer you know!) Explain it to the wife as "it's this, or a $200.00 part from Honda". For you underagers, you'll have to sell this plan to your elders for approval.[:'(]

Step#2Open the case carefully as to not damage it. Store your extra goodies in vertical or horizontal launch positions for easy access later. YOU will want to reward yourself for your effortsof course, so get em cool!

Step# 3Carefully pull the case apart and cut in half

Step#4 Installation: See pictures below.

And there you have it. Simple and effective and a perfect fit! I use the folded over sides to act aslock to keep the cardboard from moving. It works like a charm. My carhas no air conditioningso there is noheat exchanger rad,but a thin sheet of black plastic you can see above. That may be an issuefor you fellows with a/c, you'll have to figure that one out yourselves. Just remember to take it out when it warms up and toss it in the trunk or hatch for later use.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How to make a winter front for your civic

I tried to use cardboard on a 90 Accord one time and the check engine light came on while highway driving. Have you tested this on the highway yet?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

Sweet,,, Beer

Old 01-11-2007, 05:40 PM

I've run it on the highway but it has to be quite cold (-25C)out. Neverhad an issue though in any temperature I've had it in.Usually when I go out on the highway I take it out as the car is working hard enough that it can make enough heat. It's really a commuter thing so that your car warms up faster as you drive to work and around town.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya this is a very comen setup for cold winter time... works best on larger vehicles.... ive never needed it for my civic tho... it heats up preaty quick with nothing..

tho with a larger vehicle ya just use a old cardboard box infront of the radiator
always worked with my 66impala i used newspaper, pizza boxes... anything to restrict air flow while driving.
also helps alittle to tape the stuff down....

you can easily only block half of it or less depending on how cold it is.....
you cannt block off all the air or it will overheat preaty quickly and thats BAD.....