Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to I use a voltmeter to measure a battery? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
HCF Member
Default How to I use a voltmeter to measure a battery? Pics

Ok heres the deal. I just got a battery for my snowmobile but I dont no what settings to put my voltmeter on to test it. These pictures attached are the two Im trying to use. If just can just tell me or even circle it on which setting im sopposed to have it on to test my battery. Battery is 12v

THANKS!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2140/0865212945564A069BF53DDFF7E74D4B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-25-2007, 03:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How to I use a voltmeter to measure a battery? Pics

O.K. We are gonna use the one on the left in that picture. Now take the red and black leads, plug the red into the upper most hole and the black into the bottom hole.

Now turn the dial two clicks counterclockwise from the off position. That should be 200 under the V with the straight lines above it. (That is DC voltage.) You can use the "20" setting right by it, but I always start high and work my way down.

Then grab a 9 volt and test it to make sure that your multimeter is working right. If so touch the red to the positive and the black to the neg. Read the voltage and your done.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

Thanks! Ill give it a try

Old 02-25-2007, 04:58 PM
HCF Member

Good luck. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

O.K. We are gonna use the one on the left in that picture. Now take the red and black leads, plug the red into the upper most hole and the black into the bottom hole.

Now turn the dial two clicks counterclockwise from the off position. That should be 200 under the V with the straight lines above it. (That is DC voltage.) You can use the "20" setting right by it, but I always start high and work my way down.

Then grab a 9 volt and test it to make sure that your multimeter is working right. If so touch the red to the positive and the black to the neg. Read the voltage and your done.
WRONG! If you do that youwill blow the fuse in your meter. Plug the black lead in the bottom hole and the red lead in the hole right above that. Using the 20V range is fine, your car won't make more than 20 volts and if it does the meter will just say 0L.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

^^hes using it for a snowmobile(dont know if that wouldchange anything, but i dont think it will)....i am very confused by multimeters and stuff....lol

Old 02-26-2007, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

^1+ to amg6975. The top hole is for measuring current and the meter must be in series for that. The middle is for measuring voltage/resistance and must be in parallel. Therefore the red goes in middle and black goes in bottom and you put the leads across the battery preferrably while its in the circuit to get rid of loading effects. And I'll confirm that 20V should be just fine on the straight and broken line not ~ line.
Yay electronic engineering has paid off a lil.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

Damn, your right. I wrote that so fast I screwed up. Good catch. And the reason I said to put it in on 200 is because I that way no matter what your not gonna get a spike that high.

P.S.
I FEEL LIKE A TOTAL DUMB ***!!! If anyone would like to shoot me like a lame race horse, now would be the time. LOL

Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
HCF Member

Hey, Thanks guys! Ya the wires on the meter were getting a little hot. IC why now. But the battery is in and works great. But this is good to know in the future.

Thanks, and at least you were trying to help windcalmer.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheShimster91HB
Yay electronic engineering has paid off a lil.
Word.

Quick Reply: How to I use a voltmeter to measure a battery? Pics