Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How do i know if i have lsd or open?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:43 PM
HCF Member
Default How do i know if i have lsd or open?

Ok the car has a jdm b18c. Im having a nightmare trying to figure out what half shaft i have, what transmission, axle the whole nine. I bought 2 half shafts from acura's and each one leaked. When i put the half shaft back in that came with the car, no more leaks. So im just going to rebuild the axle in the car. I ordered left inner boots for a 95 acura integra gsr. The boot is so tight i cant get it on the axle. Now im wondering if the car maybe has civic si axles. The part numbers are different for boots and axles. This car is driving me nuts now. Ive been working on the axle and messing with it for 3 days now. The half shafts off the integra would not line up good with the 3 bolt holes that hold it in. The top bolt hole lined up but had a gap of about 1/2" away from the half shaft. So when you would tighten it down, it would cause the halfshaft to move just enough to cause oil to leak through the seal.

Anyways i am babbling on. Now im waiting on another boot kit. The weird thing now is when i lift the vehicle and drive it on the lift, the drivers side halfshaft spins, and the passenger side sits still. Doesnt spin at all. Is this normal. Supposedly the transmission is jdm also. I always thought the passenger side is supposed to spin. Also if i hold the halfshaft with my left hand and spin the passenger wheel by hand, i can keep the half shaft from spinning. When i let go it spins with the passenger wheel. Is this normal or what? I had it on the lift driving to make sure no more leaks from half shaft seal and thats when my dad tells me the half shaft is spinning but the passenger wheel is sitting still. Please help, im new to all this engine tranny swapping and hondas in general. Im beginning to regret buying something that has been swapped.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds normal for a conventional differential. Whichever wheel has more drag in the bearings, brakes, etc. will stay still. If you had limited slip, they would both turn with some force, and with the transmission in neutral you couldn't turn one wheel by hand and hold the other one still.

I guess you have the wrong intermediate shaft if the bolts don't line up. The stock D-series powertrain does not have an intermediate shaft, it simply has two half-shafts of unequal length so they can both reach all the way from the wheel to the transmission.

Last edited by mk378; 01-26-2010 at 07:42 PM.