Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

honda civic idle fluctuates. wtf

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 PM
HCF Member

A jumpy idle can also be caused by some air in the coolant system. Try bleeding it using the bleeder valve above the thermostat. If bled properly, when the bleeder is open a constant stream should flow out.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 PM

I've replaced the distributor, throttle body, IACV, new plugs, now I get a sputter when I try to accelerate from a stop or while moving, maybe a three count and it fixes itself. Any idea?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Chubby Chaser

check the timing .. advance your distributor a little bit and see if that helps

Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Lostoldman
I've replaced the distributor, throttle body, IACV, new plugs, now I get a sputter when I try to accelerate from a stop or while moving, maybe a three count and it fixes itself. Any idea?
So the entire distributor including internals is new? Did you replace the plug wires? Is the CEL on?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 AM

The whole unit is new Ron, Wires are less than two months old (NGK). I advanced it just a tad, rpms are up a little but still no change, feels like when i try to accelerate that the fuel delivery is sluggish, stutters than accelerates like a champ. The light isnt on but its throwing a o2 main sensor.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Lostoldman
The whole unit is new Ron, Wires are less than two months old (NGK). I advanced it just a tad, rpms are up a little but still no change, feels like when i try to accelerate that the fuel delivery is sluggish, stutters than accelerates like a champ. The light isnt on but its throwing a o2 main sensor.
You have a 92-95 Civic, right? Is it bone stock? What engine?

You really need to use a timing gun to set the ignition timing, and the service connector must be jumped during the procedure. Finally, after adjusting the ignition timing, you have to reset the ECU.

This isn't really an idle problem. It sounds more like misfiring or running lean. Have you pulled CEL codes recently? If not, reset the ECU and drive the car to see what code(s) are thrown.

As you have an O2 sensor code, unplug it and drive the car. Does the problem go away?

You should also measure the fuel pressure with and without the FPR vacuum hose connected.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Chubby Chaser

have you clean your fuel injectors??/ have you put a new fuel filter on.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Question

its a 93 and its got intake, exhaust, headers, cams, injectors, regulator. I tried driving it with the main o2 sensor unplugged and it would shut off. Noticed my plugs were not gapped right too, 3 and 4. Supposed to be at .044 and they were at .039, but when i set them right, the car didnt run any different. Timing was checked too.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Measure the fuel pressure.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Red face

32 PSI. Swapped the wires out for the old ones and the car runs fine, but if i try to get on it, it sputters. Makes a popping noise and the whole car jumps. It shut off twice on me too without warning and it wouldnt accelerate for a second at all (no response) like it was off then the rpms jumped and ran normally back to the house as long as i didnt try to floor it.

Quick Reply: honda civic idle fluctuates. wtf