Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

honda civic idle fluctuates. wtf

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs down honda civic idle fluctuates. wtf

i have a 1988 honda civic lx 1.5 standard and i read about the whole iacv **** and im bout to go check that out. but my idling isnt too low or to high. the bastard goes from 1000rpm to 2500 rpm then drops back to 1000 rpm and repeats the process over and over again. any info or help on what the hells going on? thanks guys for reading

Old 06-20-2009, 12:14 PM

MIne is doing the same thing...Find anything out please share. Email is lostoldman@hotmail.com

Old 06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

IACV. I think its ronj on here who has the write up on how to clean it. It sits on the back of your intake manifold. Pull it off and spray it with wd40 or some other cleaner.
If you search on here you will find this answer 100 times on this forum.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 PM
HCF Member

^^yea RonJ has the writeup in his signature u could search his name or wait til he responds
also if its not ur IACV you could just have a vacuum leak

Old 06-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by hamorhead
also if its not ur IACV you could just have a vacuum leak
Is the CEL ON? Is the LED on the ECU blinking any codes?

Besides cleaning the IACV and fast idle valve on the throttle body and checking for intake air leaks from the throttle body and intake manifold gaskets and for disconnected, loose, or damaged vacuum hoses, also try bleeding the cooling system.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

theirs something strange about the ecu. check engine light is not on but the ecu is throwing codes 7 and 14. the day i turned down the idle to 750rpm, i went to take a trip to a buddys house and the damn cel came on right away it was the throttle position sensor. dont remember the code but its happened before. turned up the idle and the damn cel stopped coming on. wtf. this cars like my old hatchback. engine sounds quieter lol but i dunno. i just replaced the cv axle and it still sounds like its all f-ed up. maybe the exhaust hitting the rear wheel suspension? damn car. just when i get the money im probably going to tear the cylinder head off, replace the headgasket, redo the valves, change intake and exhaust gaskets as well. spotted oil looks like all over the engine blockand leaked all over the tranny. oh and im a dumbass when it comes to vaccuum lines. its okay to disconnect them? just as long as you document where the bastard unplugged from? dont want no fluids going all over the place n ****. finally learned that the throttle body has 2 fuel lines going to it the other day at the junkyard lol. emissions is coming up so i gotta get off my dead *** and get **** going here

Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

my 93 coupe ex w/ b16a was doing the same thing. my idle would fluctuate from 700rpm's to 2000 rpms when just in neutral. i gave the coolant system a good bleed. was actually trying to diagnose a blown head gasket. but the bleeding fixed my idle.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Chubby Chaser

dude this damn thread is almost 2 months old

Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

well im sorry for trying to help. even tho someone with a similar problem might stumble upon this tread and it could save their day. you never know. i have found many solutions in old threads.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

yeah mine only does it cold, after it warms up just a little it settles down, I tried cleaning the fast idle valve on the back of the intake but, I may not have cleaned it well enough

Quick Reply: honda civic idle fluctuates. wtf