Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic 1990 Ex

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Default Honda Civic 1990 Ex

Okkaayyy I have a few problems here and there. I have a 1990 honda civic EX 1.6 liter
1. my heater doesnt work no defrost etc etc there is no sound when i try to turn it on at all.

2. my speedometer and odometer do not work at all. when I got the car the guy told me that was a problem.

3. my passenger side seat belt doesnt work i had to move it by myself cause it wouldn't move and then it goes off saying the seat belts not back which it is i finally found a spot where it doesnt make noise but the seat belt light stays on (the overhead light goes off when the door is closed)

4. my low beam head lights don't work BUT the high beams do!?!? I was thinking it is possibly the fuses but i would like a second opinion!

ANY help or opinions would be AWESOME PLEASE and THANK YOU!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Honda Civic 1990 Ex

If the low beam doesn't work and the high beam does, there can be one of two problems. Either the headlight is burned out or there is a problem in the headlight circuit. Take the headlight out and check the resistance between the power and ground terminals (there are 2 powers and 1 ground. When you turn the fan on, do you hear anything? Try it with the heat off, heat on, A/C on, A/C off. Also see if the fan will run on 1, 2, 3, or 4 speed.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:01 AM

The headlights, buy the cheap bulbs first. I burned up my wiring using the super brite type lights, and that was the symptom (High beams work, low beams dont work.
Sounds like wiring problems possibly.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

check the fuses, if the hig's work but not the lows then i would say fuses... plus it is the cheepest fix too, so go with the cheepest and work your way up

Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

If the low beam doesn't work and the high beam does, there can be one of two problems. Either the headlight is burned out or there is a problem in the headlight circuit. Take the headlight out and check the resistance between the power and ground terminals (there are 2 powers and 1 ground. When you turn the fan on, do you hear anything? Try it with the heat off, heat on, A/C on, A/C off. Also see if the fan will run on 1, 2, 3, or 4 speed.
With the heater nothing works notta! not the a/c not 1 2 3 or 4 nothing! heat off doesnt work heat on etc etc..