Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

hmmm.. head gasket or new engine..

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:58 AM
Default hmmm.. head gasket or new engine..

Memorial day weekend was bad for my car. There I was, driving through Michigan on 94. Near as I can tell a pinhole leak popped in a coolant line and started spraying all over the engine compartment but the temp gauge didn't wiggle. At some point the head gasket blew. The CEL popped on which was the first indication I got of a problem. At that point the temp gauge must have unstuck because it shot up to max. I pulled over, got it towed to a shop, got to pay #@$^@#$$750.00 for a new radiator, lines, and thermostat because my dad answered the phone and OK'd service before I was up the next morning. When I called, they also said that it was down to a quart of oil and what was left was cooked. Went back and picked up the car, drove it an hour back to the parents house. Opened the hood and found coolant all over the place and bubbles blowing into the radiator reserve tank. Got it to a Honda dealer. THEN I found out the head gasket was blown. The mechanic there said it probably wasn't worth fixing due to age and unknown problems due to overheating.

*sorry about the long story... more of a rant than a description of the engine's condition

anyways.. not sure what to do now. Any ideas on my chances of getting this engine back up to reliable working order? If not, any ideas on where I can find and engine someone swapped OUT of their car and have sitting around?

Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: hmmm.. head gasket or new engine..

I hear swapping D series engines is cake. You can get em on ebay and craigs list for dirt cheap. Esp if you get as non vtec one.