Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

High idle... no jumping though.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Default High idle... no jumping though.

1992 civic sedan, dx. d15b7 auto. ( About to swap to manual )

It used to idle jump like hondas always do. But i tightened the Fast idle valve screw and cleaned the IACV and now it just idles steady @ 2k RPM. But as soon as i put in gear, it jumps down to normal. I'm thinking vaccuum leak...? But all I hear is my CAI sucking in air. Impossible to listen for a vacuum leak. What else could it be? HALP. Need to fix the idle before I can put a 5spd in it so that way it's not always high when I'm in neutral, as I'll be in neutral a lot more when driving a stick. Everything else is golden.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the intake pipe off the throttle body. First make sure the cable goes slack and the throttle plate closes fully when the gas pedal is not pressed. Someone may have adjusted the stop screw, which should not be adjusted. It is set at the factory so the throttle plate just closes at the same time the lever hits the screw.

In the side of the throttle body, before the throttle plate, are three holes. Start the engine and block the holes with your fingers to see which ones are sucking air. The top one leads to the air screw, the one in the back to the IACV, and the one in the bottom to the FITV. The latter two should be closed when the engine is idling too fast. You should be able to stall out the engine by blocking all three.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:40 AM
HCF Member

Phalen,

I sort of have the same car as you. D15B engine with a twin Carby, 1993 model Civic sedan. Where is your throttle body, IACV, Idle Adjustment Screw, Idle Valve on your car?

Can you tell where it is on my car?
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...e-valve-90427/

Old 09-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Take the intake pipe off the throttle body. First make sure the cable goes slack and the throttle plate closes fully when the gas pedal is not pressed. Someone may have adjusted the stop screw, which should not be adjusted. It is set at the factory so the throttle plate just closes at the same time the lever hits the screw.

In the side of the throttle body, before the throttle plate, are three holes. Start the engine and block the holes with your fingers to see which ones are sucking air. The top one leads to the air screw, the one in the back to the IACV, and the one in the bottom to the FITV. The latter two should be closed when the engine is idling too fast. You should be able to stall out the engine by blocking all three.
I'll try this tomorrow, Thanks for the info. I appreciate it

and I don't know, the pictures of your engine are different than what my engine looks like.