Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

high idle again!!!!!! 3k!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 PM
HCF Member
Default high idle again!!!!!! 3k!!!!!

hey its me again... well i solved my high idle problem for when i put my after market int. manifold..it wsa a screw whole left open on the side. new problem tho, i got pulled over and was told to get myt stock intake back on or my car wont be stree legal. im doing i t for a few just to please the court but will go back after its all done...MAIN problem now is my cars idle is at 2-2.5 and if i am rolling it will idle at 3k until my car comes to a complete stop. please help its very annoying! my guess is clutch or intake to head gasket.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Default RE: high idle again!!!!!! 3k!!!!!

check the trottle cable for correct adjustment, vaccum leaks ? idle stop screw ?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

cable is a bit loose, meaning throttle is closed all the way, the screw doesnt seem to change my idle much and i have replaced most vac. lines. is there something i must do to the car like jump a small harness under the glove box, it says so in repair book but it only mentions it when i need to do the timing. o and yes if i change the timing the idle does drop "but" it will not be correctly set at 16 degrees that i need to pass my referee test

Old 11-04-2007, 07:31 PM

referee test ? WTF 16 degrees why? If I advanced my timming that much my car would idle all crazy to

Old 11-04-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

well thats what the referee(more strict smog people) told me. he said manufacturer timing set is at 16 dgr. i was at 6 for some reason. when i got it set correctly it fixd the problem i had b4, my car would idle so low i thought it would die out when i would come to a stop.....now its opposite. i have been told it might be my clutch .....what-u think? it was idleing alot higher when i put my stock intakemanifold,throttle on the first time but i added silicon to them and idle did lower....well ill recheck for vaccum leak again to se if thats the reason y i idle at 2.5 to begin with

Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

well to me every vaccum line looks good and i dont see any thing else where it could have a leak

Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

Get a can of carb cleaner. Start the car. Spray the stuff on the vac lines and around the intake manifold gasket. The car will bogg down if there is a leak and you spray the carb cleaner on it. Then youve found the leak. Just carefully spray that stuff around the area with the engine running, youll find the leak.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: o320

hey its me again... well i solved my high idle problem for when i put my after market int. manifold..it wsa a screw whole left open on the side. new problem tho, i got pulled over and was told to get myt stock intake back on or my car wont be stree legal. im doing i t for a few just to please the court but will go back after its all done...MAIN problem now is my cars idle is at 2-2.5 and if i am rolling it will idle at 3k until my car comes to a complete stop. please help its very annoying! my guess is clutch or intake to head gasket.

lol you do relize that if you get pulled over again bar will do this to you Bar: Ever so gently pulls down your pants and inserts you know what into you know what hole. hahaha and then you get pulled over EVERYTIME A COP SPOTS THE CAR! not true you say???? my b16a2 was in a 4 door ex civic that was busted for street raceing, bar said take the motor out immediately, so my boy took it out took it to bar they said okay signed off on the ticket, my boy puts motor back in drives it around got pulled over they impounded car for 30 days and told them if they see it again on street it will be taken away unless stock motor is in it.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:39 AM

I live in GA and have to pass emissions ,have a swap in my car and all I have to do is put it on a dyno and see if it is going to pass, all that 'referee" stuff is insaine 16 degress still sounds like alot, if you can't find any vaccum leaks retard the timming until it smooths out, when I advance my timming to far it idles all crazy, put up a link to emmisions home page where you live. I am very interested about different "smog laws"

Old 11-05-2007, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

usually in these idle case that i have seen, its usually the throttle body is not working properly. Btw what kind of intake do you have that it is not street legal?

Quick Reply: high idle again!!!!!! 3k!!!!!