Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

high beams dont work please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:20 PM
HCF Member
Default high beams dont work please help

ok its a 90 civic si hb.hi beams work if i pull the switch back on the colom and hold it ,but it does not stay on if i let it go what gives? thanks to any help. if its a relay to keep it on were is it at ? or is it the switch on the colom ?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: high beams dont work please help

when you pull back the arm does it click?? if not the little tab inside is broke. you need to replace the unit.

remove steering wheel and 4 screws hold it on and i think 3 plugs are pluggeed in it.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 AM
HCF Member

sure it clicks when i do pull it back on the colom. i was able to leave the hi beams on for a minute before and they would work, but now i drive 120 miles holding the switch i will try a new one in there to see if it works thanks

Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's probably a bad switch on the steering column.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree, must be the switch itself. I don't think there are any relays or anything other than the fuses on a '90, it all goes thru that column switch. Fuses must be good or the brights would never come on at all.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

[:@]i tried new switch and its still the same. i unpluged one light tonight to see something if its over loaded and the high beam switch worked and hooked up the other light and it still worked so i was happy it came out of it guss what i just came in from trying it and it dont work [:@][sm=dontgetit.gif]the swich seams like its not getting enuff power to triger it to stay on. but if i let it sit with the lights on and go out and try it the thing will work ,or if i let it sit with the brights on " if its in the hi beam spot" it will work after a couple minutes. my sunroof is the same way it will close right away ,but i have to hold it open for about 10 secs before it will work is this tied in some how? just to ad a small note the battery is relocated in the rear might that have something to do with it? should i buy a ground kit on ebay? anyone trie one of them yet? i live in deer country i need brights and more to see them ??????[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The switch should click in and out of bright mode each time you pull it all the way back. Does your "new" switch do that? It's the same circuit as when you turn the brights on momentarily by pulling the switch back but not all the way to the click.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 AM
HCF Member

yikes! sounds like your rewiring has caused some power delivery issues. I'd retrace every step on your mod and make sure that you are not causing power to be cut off prematurely.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

the battery was in the rear before this all started i should have left that out. the lights work when i pull back like to pass someone but dont go on right away when it clicks and i wait it will come on like its on a relay i had an old ford that did that when i turned on the fog lights it would take about a minut to do it and work fine after it was on for awhile, come back an hour later after there off and back to the same thing. thats what the honda is doing but its getting to the point were they dont work at all.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Test the dimmer relays in the right and left headlights:

Name:  picture_0991.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  47.4 KB

Quick Reply: high beams dont work please help