Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HID wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Default HID wiring problem

Ok, I recently purchased a set of 6000k HID's and I put them into the car (all plug and play). I heard the ballast turn on and the lights came on with no problem just took a few seconds to get to full power. So later on that day the battery light comes on (even though I don't have my lights on because it's daylight). I quickly take it to Autozone and the attendant checks it out and tells me the battery is reading like new, and the alternator should be fine as well. I figure problem just a problem with the ecu and the new lights. Later that night I turn them on and drive for about a good 25 min. and then the light on the passenger side begins to flicker and goes out. I rush to Wal-Mart and get some OEM H4 (9003) bulbs and put them in. Well, I drive back and within two traffic lights the car goes dead. So I get a new battery and wire it up. Car works fine, however the battery light is still on; however up until I reach about 65mph. So all you electrical tech guys and ladies think you can help me out with this one?I was thinking about making a wiring harness with two 20 amp fuses and a relay for the HID's. If that seems like a good idea, should I run them off of my headlights or run them from a switch? Thanks for taking the time and reading all of this!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: HID wiring problem

If it did the same thing with the OEM lights and a new battery i would say it is your alternator that is the problem

Old 05-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito on the alternator.... did they check it out or just your battery?

ive been rocken my HIDs for awhile now no problems!

HIDs take more power to fire up BUT suposedly use LESS POWER than standard headlight bulbs....

also might wanna check out your ground cables.... battery to body and body to tranny as well as radiator suport to front engine pulley bracket..... if they are coroded they should be swaped out

Old 05-10-2007, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

I had an issue with my battery, but it would have died anyway cause it was the OEM one from 93

Old 05-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya my battery that was in the car looked preaty bad.LOL needed to be replaced so i squized in my fullsize battery
and redid my ground cables... so far no problems tho i do need to upgrade my alternator!