Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! wont start now.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation Help! wont start now.

Hi, I have a 97 civic DX, 5 speed. My daily driver sat for about 4 or 5 days, I went to drive it the other night, it fired up I let it idle and warm up to full temp and I started driving it. The car seemed fine for about 10 minutes, then it started bogging on me going up hills, I got to the top of the hill and the car died, and didnt want to restart. I pushed the civic got it rolling downhill and pop started it, the car was running and idleing very low, but pressing the gas wouldnt rev it up. I got it into a parking lot at the bottom of the hill and I could drive it in circles at about 5% throttle and it would rev up a bit, anything more than 5% throttle and the car would just stall, couldnt get it started again after that and had it towed back to my place. MY uncle has a ecu scan tool, he hooked it up and the codes we found coming up were: p0107, p0172, p0301. Tested for spark, seems yellowish and weak to me. Anyone have any ideas or similar expierences?

thanks in advance guys.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Remove the coil from inside the distributor and take it to an auto parts for testing. A bad coil will produce weak or no spark.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

sounds like maybe you have some water in your gas. How well does your fuel gauge work? Does it have plenty of gas? Sounds silly, but its happened to the best of us...

K

Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
August 2010 ROTM

Originally Posted by killerformula
sounds like maybe you have some water in your gas. How well does your fuel gauge work? Does it have plenty of gas? Sounds silly, but its happened to the best of us...

K
Why would water in his gas have anything to do with a weak spark? The spark should be bright and whiteish-blue, not weak and yellow.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM
HCF Member

I installed a brand new distributor, cap, rotor, coil, and plugs (gapped corectlly). My car starts now but runs like crap, idle is way too low, rpm's are all over the place, and I can still feel it skipping when I try to rev it up, any ideas? map sensor maybe?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the CEL ON?

Did you happen to reinstall a couple of the spark plug wires in the wrong firing order?

The cylinders are ordered 4-3-2-1 from the distributor to the timing belt:

Name:  picture_2882.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  42.8 KB

Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

Plug wires are in the correct order, car has brand new distributor, cap, rotor, coil, plugs (gapped correctlly) plug wires arent more than a year old, new map sensor. My civic runs fine when its cold, couple minutes after it reachs full temp it starts running like crap, rpms go up and down wildly, and it stutters and skips and doesnt want to rev up. Ive already spent almost 200$ on this car, problem still isnt fixed..... any ideas?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be a sensor problem. Scan the codes again if you have more than one, reset the ECU and run it again and scan again. The codes you were getting before suggest vacuum hoses disconnected, broken, or misrouted, bad MAP sensor, wires misplugged between the MAP sensor and TPS (they have the same type of plug).

Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like the problem specifically occurs when the engine goes into open loop mode with the O2 sensor. Disconnect the primary O2 sensor to see whether the problem is prevented. If so, replace the O2 sensor.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 AM
HCF Member

I unplugged the lwoer O2 sensor, and the car seemed to drive normal for 10 or 15 minutes, after that it went back to stuttering, not wanting to rev up at all, and having no power, when it does this the needle on the tach goes up and down really fast. Im begining to think I have a bad PCM. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Help! wont start now.