Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help w/stuck power door locks

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Default Help w/stuck power door locks

When I bought a '99 Civic used there was already some problem with the door panel where someone had been in there before for windows, or who knows. I have also taken the door panel on and off a few times because the rubber window seal was getting bound up and almost forcing the window out of the track.

Anyways, bascially if the lock switch was pushed all the way open hard, the power locks would not be able to lock the door. If it was unlocked but more like halfway, everything would work fine. And one time I had an issue where the sensor would see the lock switch as being in the locked position and keep trying to force the actuator to locked (ie. when you manually lock the doors with the keys in, it tries to lock all the doors)

So now I go out on a cold morning and the key won't open the lock (driver or passenger) and the keyless entry won't open the lock. It makes the clicking noises, but it is basically trying to keep the doors locked. I climb in through the trunk and still can't open either door. I can physically budge either lock mechanism and the keyless entry does make clicking noises, but the unlock just doesn't quite work. Checked the fuses including the under hood one, which didn't help, when the underhood power lock was removed I was really stuck.

So I did get the panel off with the door shut. (Lucky for me I have popped it off enough and only had to remove the two screws you can actually get at). I force the rod that connected to the actuator and open the door and it mostly works now.

But, the passenger door won't open. So do I have two problems, one the stuck rod, and two the electronics are messed up telling the passenger to stay locked. Or is the passenger side also physically stuck (never had problems with it before). Even with the power unlock switch the passenger lock won't open but the driver side will (now that I manually unstuck it). Could both doors have gotten frozen/stuck?

Any ideas on how to best fix all this? Penetrating spray? Also, why wouldn't the outside key unlock the door since none of the handle rods are messed up..