Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP!!! Surging Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Default HELP!!! Surging Idle

Ok here is the deal...I have a 91 Acura Integ with a B18A1, it has a CAI on it. I changed the valve cover gasket and spark plug gasket rings. After that I noticed that for some reason the little ground wire that goes on the valve cover had two connections and only one of them was actually connected. So I thought well I'll just go ahead and connect both of the ground wires up. After I hooked both of them up and I started the car it started surging really bad going from 2000 rpm to 1500 rpm and up and down the rpm range. So I disconnected the battery and disassembled the ground wire that was connected prior to the valve cover gasket change. I put the battery cable back on and started it again and it still surged. Today I was going to a stop light and it would do it while i was coasting in 2nd gear and after I stopped at the light. Usually it would only do this for a short time. I have looked for disconnected vaccum lines but I didn't see anything. Please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremery

Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: HELP!!! Surging Idle

Is the CEL ON?

I think you should check again for an intake air or vacuum leak.

Other possibilities are that the IACV or Fast Idle Valve need to be cleaned or the cooling system needs to be bled of trapped air.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Ok. Cool I will check the fast idle and IACV. I am not sure where they are located but, I will look in my manual (not factory manual), The CEL is not on. I do notice like if I let it sit all day and go out and start it like after class it will idle very high as well as in the morning. Maybe I'll start with the fast idle valve.

Thanks again Jeremery

Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Both valves are attached to the throttle body.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM

I cleaned the IACV and it was in fact dirty. I also cleaned my air intake as it was dirty too. It still has the surging on the idle and it also has a very high idle when you first start it up. If the IACV is in fact bad is there a way to check it? Does it throw computer codes? I will check that next. I didn't get to check the gasket on the IACV, but I was trying to find a gasket for it and they cant get it at autozone or advanced. I might try the dealership as I need motor mount bolts. The person I bought the car from or the owner before him took the motor mount bolts off and didn't replace the bottom front, one on the underside of the passenger mount, and 3 are missing from the rear motor mount. Will this make the fount end have a funny feeling while driving it? I am going to guess that it will.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Cover the throttle body hole that leads to the Fast Idle Valve with your finger. If the idle surging stops, you have found the problem. If not, bleed the cooling system as detailed in the service manual.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 AM

Hey thanks for all your help Ron. I will try that this weekend. I'll let you know what I found out.