Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help with power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 AM
HCF Member
Default help with power loss

So I was on on the highway and pushed it alittle to about 80-85 mph. And then I felt a power loss after getting off the highway. (This happened yesterday) no check engine light came on until today after driving about 10-15 mins going 30-40 mph. But I shut off the car and turned it back on and the check engine light stayed off. Is the code still stored in the ecu and will pop up when I jump the harness?
The problem:
The car lost a lot of power. The cars feels like I'm trying to take off in 4th gear but really in 1st. Any ideas?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The code should still be stored.

You could have a dead cylinder or a skipped timing belt. Check the cam timing before driving again. If the belt has skipped, replace it immediately. Check for dead cylinders by disconnecting the fuel injectors one at a time. The OBD 1 system does not report misfire codes, so running on 3 cylinders might not light the CEL.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 AM
HCF Member

Is pulling the spark plug wires the same thing? Because I did that and the motor would feel like stalling when pulling each wire.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's basically the same test but some people have had their coil blow out from pulling spark plug wires with the engine running. So it is safer to disconnect the injectors. Either way though, when you disconnect a good cylinder the engine should slow down, it should do the same for each of the four. If you have a dead cylinder, nothing will change when you disconnect the injector or plug wire.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
HCF Member

yea. the engine did slow down on all 4 plugs. qucik question about the injectors. If i disconnect them, do they throw gas out everywhere? and where am i disconnecting them from? The little square ends with that staple looking clamps?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You'd just disconnect the 2 wire plug. This removes the electrical drive to the injector and it just stays closed. No gas will come out to the outside (or the inside either). You have to pry up the staple wire first in order to pull the plug off.

But since you've already found all 4 cylinders are working, you should investigate the timing next.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 AM
HCF Member

alright will do that.

if the code is not stored, and happens to come up again while driving. can i pull over jump the harness and check the cel that way? or does it have to be off and on the II position?

and would bad timing cause the check engine light to come on?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Hey mk I got a code 43. What's that?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 AM

Code 43 fuel supply problem

Old 05-05-2010, 05:48 AM
HCF Member

Yea I knew it was a fuel system supply. But just needed to know what to check and how to check it. I checked for any vacuum leaks and found nothing. But I did notice that my cylinder closest to the dizzy was making a clapping noise. So I took off the plug wire and removed the plug. And the plug seems loose and not solid like the other ones. So I'm going to buy a new one. I know it has nothing to do with fuel but I didn't like the sound it was making. But I plan on changing the fuel filter and hope that's my problem.

Quick Reply: help with power loss