Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP I've Tried EVERYTHING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:15 AM
HCF Member
Default HELP I've Tried EVERYTHING!!!!

Hi guys, I have a big problem right now with my 98 Civic Lx, I keep getting a misfire in cylinder one and a random misfire as well. I have changed the ignition coil, plugs, cables, timing belt, drive belts, oil and air filters, and even se all of the valve clearences do you guys have any idea with what it could be I would be so greatful.

I have tried the search button and even the search button on all the other Civic forums I could fing and still can't find anyone who has had this problem. So please guys.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Inspect the contact points in the distributor cap and on the rotor. How old are the cap and rotor?

Have the ICM inside the distributor tested at an auto parts store.

Any CEL codes?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Is #1 completely dead or does it just misfire occasionally? Being completely dead or misfiring at idle could be a compression issue.

I agree could be a bad cap or, remotely, a weak ICM. I'd also try swapping the #1 fuel injector with #4 (that cylinder being furthest from #1 in the firing order) and see if the misfiring moves with it.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
HCF Member

Well I forgot to mention I just got an ICM 2 weeks ago as the old one was bad and I am still getting a random missfire although I have not checked the codes again just to be sure. And I will try the fuel injector idea thanks.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Pull the codes now using the method described at the CEL link in my signature. If you still have the random misfire code, then next try replacing the fuel filter.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'd also swap #1 and #4 plugs. Once in a great while a plug (even a new one) has a short inside and will misfire.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
I'd also swap #1 and #4 plugs. Once in a great while a plug (even a new one) has a short inside and will misfire.
And it's always wise to listen to Mk's advice.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

Ok I will check my CEL like tomorrow since the car isnt going to be moved and it is raining outside, but I did install auto lights double platinum plugs today just because the plugs that were on it were like 1 buck a pop. I will also try the injectors when I get the CEL. Thanks again guys I will get back to you soon on this.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:43 PM
HCF Member

Update, I got bored doing homework so.... I went out and got a reading it is still cylinder 1 misfire and random missfire

Will check injectors tomorrow though. Do you think I should still change the fuel filter?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Given the random misfire code, I would recommend that you replace the fuel filter. However, also trying mk's suggestion about swapping injector 1 and 4 to see if the code follows injector 1 is easy and worth trying.

Quick Reply: HELP I've Tried EVERYTHING!!!!