Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

headlights dimming

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Default headlights dimming

it's not really a big deal but it kinda bugs me...
whenever i roll the windows up or down (power windows), the headlights, if they are on, dim a little bit, until i let off the window button. Same thing happens to the A/C, the blower blows less hard while I am holding the window button. Also, the idle changes a little bit while i'm holding the window button.

It happens regardless of which window i am rolling up, and happens if i hold any combination of buttons down at the same time.

Kinda bugs me that it does that, so if it's fixable i'd like to fix it.

Battery is fairly new. Battery wires are clamped on tight. Battery Posts are clean.

Any ideas? I have a multimeter if you suggest any grounds that I should check for continuity.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:36 PM
HCF Member

i say just look around for loose grounds for now, and of course, have you changed anything that might have started this problem?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 AM

i checked my grounds to see if they were loose and i couldn't find any loose ones.
i didn't install anything that would relate to this. it's been like it since i bought the car, just never got around to complaining about it

Old 08-13-2008, 12:10 AM

double post. admin please delete.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 08-13-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:10 AM

could it be the ground going from my head to the spot by the headlight? the wire is kinda rust colored and a little frayed.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:45 AM

could be that your alternator isn't charging as well as it should check the voltage coming out with the car running it should be around 14 volts

Old 08-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Wikidconsepshnz
could be that your alternator isn't charging as well as it should check the voltage coming out with the car running it should be around 14 volts
Yeah, I too am thinking that you may have a weak battery or alternator/voltage regulator. Also check the tension of the alternator belt and whether it may be slipping.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

This may be a normal situation. The windows use a fair amount of power. At idle, the output from even a good alternator is limited. If you can get 14 volts at the battery at idle with the headlights (but nothing else) on, I'd call the alternator good.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
Yeah, I too am thinking that you may have a weak battery or alternator/voltage regulator. Also check the tension of the alternator belt and whether it may be slipping.
the belt tension is good. i replaced it the other day and i wasn't sure if my tension was good enough because it was so hard to get belt tension on the alternator belt, i had Tires Plus check the tension (free of course) whenever i took it in to get the a/c evac/recharge.

Originally Posted by mk378
This may be a normal situation. The windows use a fair amount of power. At idle, the output from even a good alternator is limited. If you can get 14 volts at the battery at idle with the headlights (but nothing else) on, I'd call the alternator good.
i'll check the voltage today at idle with the headlights on.
yea i kinda thought it may be normal, because i'm pretty sure it doesn't do it while driving, only at idle, and I know it's a lot harder at idle for the alternator to charge the battery since the crankshaft is turning slower at idle, which could explain the problem.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 AM

alright, checked the voltage with the headlights on. i got some fluctuation between 13.97V and 14.30V and then it stopped fluctuating and was a steady 14.28V, sometimes going down to 14.27V, but then back to 14.28V.

Quick Reply: headlights dimming