Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Headlight Housing Full of Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Default Headlight Housing Full of Condensation

On my 2004 Civic sedan, the inside of the right headlight lens is loaded with condensation. This is the first time this has happened. The headlight, turn signal, and parking light work. Is this a common problem? How can I dry it out without removing the bumper cover and housing? How can I prevent this? Must the housing be replaced as a unit?
Thank you for any answers.
Jim

Old 07-10-2011, 12:06 PM

are the headlight bulbs installed correctly. sometimes they wont set all the way into there mount leaving a gap between the bulb and the housing allowing condensation to build up in the housing if you look at you bulb it has a rubber o ring at is base for this very reason. also look for any cracks holes or other type of openings in the headlight assembly.

the best way to dry it out would be taking the assembly out of the car and draining it then blowing it out with a compressor and air gun but you can try just blowing it out wile in the car but leave your bulbs out as long as possible to allow as much water to evaporate as possible.

I hope this helps

Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Personally, I would take the headlight off the car (have to remove the front bumper), then bake the headlight apart in the oven, or use a hairdryer to take the front lens off. Then add silicone caulk to reseal the headlight, put it back together and enjoy a condensation free light.

That's just me, though.