Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

headlight adjustment help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Default headlight adjustment help

i wanted to adjust the beams of my headlights. i recently put in a couple of HID 8k bulbs on but the beam on the driver side seems to be higher than the passenger side. i was told that there was an easy way to fix this where i would just turn a **** with a flat head or something on top of my headlights? i tried looking for something to use a flat head on that i could test but i failed. i was wondering if these ***** were the ones i needed to twist

Name:  left.jpg
Views: 6751
Size:  113.3 KB
Name:  right.jpg
Views: 8281
Size:  72.7 KB

are those the correct ones i need to be turning to adjust the beams of my headlights?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

No your first photo is a hood support and the second one is just some random bolt. I don't know offhand how to adjust the lights on that model. The older ones had a little funnel like thing that you put a Philips screwdriver into and it would turn a cog that turns the adjuster bolt.

This is what typicaly happens when you "upgrade" stock lights with HID bulbs, a terrible beam pattern. By the time you adjust it down far enough so you're not blinding other people, they'll just be lighting up a tiny patch of the road right in front of the car.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:38 AM

ah yes. those are hood supports. i am retarded.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 AM
HCF Member

How much were the bulbs? Look into buying new headlight assemblies. They'll look cleaner and nicer, and the beams will be adjusted properly. There are very good priced sets at

http://www.dashzracing.com

I've recently purchased tail lights from them and installed them. They are very nice. I have a set of headlights on the way too. Tail lights were $208. Headlights were $235. And that is for an 08 civic. They are cheaper for older models. Take a gander

Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 AM

found it.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:53 AM

the HID's cost me 180 with installation

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 AM
HCF Member

With installation? You paid to have them installed?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 AM
HCF Member

Definatley agree with APOSTLE, look into getting some new housings. They will look tons cleaner. The stock halogen housings are going to reflect the light very differently than the reccomended projector housings and will only scatter it around in patches. Its really difficult to align the beams cuz they're usually so spread out and weak. Here's a thread that might help out.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=63317

Last edited by V8DIET; 08-11-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 AM

yes i paid to have them installed

i definitely do want to get some new housings. would anyone wanna recommend a good pair of projector headlights for a 2001 civic ex for a good price?

i've browsed around websites and stuff and most of'em run for 200 ish. is that a good price?

and also. i would probably just go to a body shop to get them installed.. anyone know how much that would run for? i don't trust myself enough to take off my front bumper n deal with all the wirings for the HID's..

Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
HCF Member

Andy Auto Sport has some cool looking ones for your car in right around 200. I think 200 is a good price. I've seen some sites as high as 300 for the same parts I bought for 235.

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/...ts/headlights/

And you should NOT pay someone to do this for you. Unless it's me . It is a real easy job. I took my rear bumper off a couple weeks ago (2008 Civic LX), was a piece of cake, it's just held on by a few screws and clips. VERY hard to screw up. I'm taking my front end off this weekend to put on new headlights and grills.

Where do you live? I'll change them for you if you want. For a very small fee. ( I could always use some money for more mods)

Quick Reply: headlight adjustment help