Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

headers vs headers???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Default headers vs headers???

hey guys i just joined this site, i know there has been questions about buying ebay headers, has any one ever tested them on a dyno or raced against someone with the same mods, like ebay headers vs name brand headers, is there really a big differance??? there must be a catch to headers that cost $40 compared to headers that run $180 if so what exaclty???just wanted to know if i did get them from ebay if they would even be worth the money i spent for them.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: headers vs headers???

You get what you pay for. Although I have not seen which headers your talking about, I'm willing to bet that there is a difference. Brands like DC Sports and Megan racing take time to test there product and dyno each trial pipe to make sure you are getting the most gains possible in each product. There welds are inspected and machined to be as reliable as possible because they want you the customer to get a quality product and they don't wan to deal with returns on there end or they lose money. Not saying that you can't get a good product for cheap, but most likely the knock off brands are just imitating somone elses R&D, making something that looks similar and not putting the same amount of time into there product as a major name brand, with years of experience and more money for testing does. Just my thoughts on quality versus price . Who knows, you may be able to find the next great header at a reasonable price now, or you may get some piece of junk that will crack on a weld or burn through the tubing and end up costing you more to replace every few months. Make a judgement call for yourself though. Personally, I stick with name brands.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:56 PM

Ebay headers have been tested and tried many times... none of them fit correctly and ended up cracking in the end.

Megan and DCsports headers are ok, they're machined to spec and thrown on a dyno every now and again to see what kind of power they make. Dyno tuned? Hardly.

Hytech, Rage, Toda, SMSP, and RMF headers are worth something, and I've seen SMSP and RMF make 12whp on stock Bseries engines. Dyno tuned to the max, but a pretty hefty price tag.

All depends on what you want, the first two aren't much different when it comes to specs and will probably perform about the same, but good luck getting Ebay headers to "bolt on."

Old 07-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

name brands are dyno proven and arn't thin metal like an ebay header