Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Header issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
HCF Member
Question Header issues

I just bought a 2 piece stainless header and had it professionally installed because I didnt want to deal with the hassle this time. I went and picked my 97 dx 5 speed up and my exhaust guy tells me theres no way he can install the secondary o2 sensor because theres not enough room and its hitting the engine. What are my options for deleting this, and or turning my check engine light off so I can get an inspection sticker? I'm kinda in trouble here I just spent over 210$ on this and my stickers been expired for almost 20 days already. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

extender

Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

Either get the extender (which most exhaust shop should have anyways) or get an MIL eliminator.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 AM

Well you're missing a catalytic converter now so getting that O2 sensor put in won't help.

You need to convert to EX exhaust (catalytic converter under car, after the header) to fix the problem. You can have a cat welded on or get an EX fitment bolt-on cat and EX exhaust.

And before you go search for cheap stuff, the catalytic converters on ebay that are cheap are not real... they are just test pipes, no catalyst... so they won't fix the problem.

everything you need to know has been covered here:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=73237

Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 PM
HCF Member

Do you think this would do it for me?
http://www.robearracing.com/pd-megan...or-cel-fix.cfm

Old 02-19-2010, 10:39 PM

You really should do it right and get a catalytic converter. Cuts down on the poisonous carbon monoxide

Old 02-20-2010, 12:34 AM
July 2010 ROTM

thank god i live in alabama where i dont have to deal with this stuff. im not saying this is what u should do, but on my gt mustang, i just took the cluster out and discreetly put a piece of electrical tape over the light. would this work or do u have to get plugged into a diagnostic computer to pass inspection?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Removing the converter from a car used on the road is illegal in the whole USA, under Federal law. It's suprising your shop did that because it is at least a $25,000 fine should someone drop the dime on them.

And I agree with trustdestruction, as a Civic driver you should be "green" and avoid unnecessary pollution.

When you get caught might depend on your state's inspection procedures. If you put the hollow one on you could potentially fool those who just look under the car to see if anything is missing.

Last edited by mk378; 02-20-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up

They plug it into a diagnostic scan tool, if my check engine light is off I pass inspection. They no longer do an exhaust sniff test in this state. I wasn't aware everyone so paranoid on these forums, I was over on the prelude forums and found tons of people using test pipes and o2 extenders; lots of good info over there on how to beat "the man". Anyways I'm gonna go with the angled o2 simulator and I found an extender I can buy so it will reach my ebay header bung.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 PM

We're not paranoid, we just happen to actually care enough about the environment to do our part and keep our catalytic converter on our car. Your car comes with it already on it, it's not like in takes any extra effort to do your part. You should do your research before installing something.

Good luck getting rid of the CEL at least, though.

Quick Reply: Header issues