Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Green Fluid on Passenger Side Mat

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Default Green Fluid on Passenger Side Mat

2004 Honda Civic

I notice a green (almost neon in colour) fluid on the passenger side car mat today. The fluid has a slight slippery feel to it. I thought it might be anti-freeze coolant, but I am unsure. I notice the fluid about 10 minutes after taken the car for a wash. The wash had an under carriage spray (nozzle spray the bottom of the car). There are no engine light on and the temperature of the Civic is fine. Could there be a leak in the coolant line?

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada and the temperature here is about negative 27 degrees celcius or 16 degree fahrenheit. The car is garage kept.

For those that think I was a nut to wash the car in this temperature, well it was to get the road salt off the vehicle before it ate at the metal

Old 02-10-2008, 12:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Green Fluid on Passenger Side Mat

Radiatior fluid has a very distinct smell also. It sounds like radiator fluid. But radiator fluid leaking inside of the passenger compartment is odd. Is the leak behind the glove compartment? Look under the dash up at the fire wall. See where it's coming from. Turn the engine on, let it warm up, and turn on the heater while your looking. If it's leaking it you'll notice easier with some pressure in the system. I believe the heater uses heat from the radiator piping to heat the air. I'd need to check a manual though. I don't have experience with the climate control system.

My 2 cents...

Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

If it's leaking at the foot of the passenger side floor, than it is definitely an issue with the heater core (i think lol).
is the heat working as effectively as it used too? do you smell a sweet smell when you turn the fan on?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks guys! Its too dark to do anything or see anything right now. I get to it tomorrow. Here is a picture of the puddle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28958/E2A5CDBF4D934DAD99882DA98742A536.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

Yeah that's coolant coming from the heater core. only reason i doubt myself is because i haven't checked to see what the location of the component is on my car, nor do i know for yours. but as a mechanic i've come across this problem alot. you might have a leak due to swolen hoses, rust at the core itself or a blockage.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well most likely.... hope ya got some cash.... heater core needs replaced.... also check your radiator fluid and top it off.....

but for now you should steam clean the carpet and get some plastic to cover the whole surround carpet floor area and tape it all around and throw some old rags down to soak it up after it drips down from the heatercore to keep it out of your carpet and a bigger mess.
most likely the core is busted/cracked.

just cross your fingers that you dont have to remove the whole dash to remove it! im not sure on your newer civic but some hondas ive heard you have to pull the dash to get to it. [>:]

Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

#12 is the heater core, about center, buried in the dash.

It kinda looks like a big job just to get in far enough to remove the core (sorry).

Oh yeah... Keep after that puddle on the carpeting. If it works down under the carpeting, you'll want to pull up the carpeting to dry it out. If you don't it'll stay wet for about 6 months. Antifreeze won't keep it's anti-corrosion properties after being exposed to air for that long.[:@]