Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

got my first honda. have a few maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
HCF Member
Default maintenance

Change your coolant too, and use Genuine Honda antifreeze mixed per the side of the bottle. Hondas, unlike US iron, have very tight tolerances and rather exotic and dissimilar metals that are used for weight reduction and with longevity in mind. Honda coolant takes all of that into consideration. Also, I like to flush brake fluid periodically since it keeps the master cylinder and the wheel cylinders from becoming contaminated and pitted which results in leaks and expensive repairs. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and picks up moisture over time and this is how it becomes contaminated. Finally, I also replace the power steering fluid since contaminants here will cause the steering rack to leak which is also expensive. I'm kind of a nut about using genuine Honda fluids since, well, I believe them to be some of the best automotive engineers on the planet and their fluids are well designed for your application.

Welcome, and with your preventative maintenance attitude you can look forward to MANY miles of trouble-free motoring. BTW, listen to MK very closely. When the valves and pistons crash from a timing belt failure the resultant damage is rather catastrophic. I read where you heard the message loudly and clearly, I am just seconding the recommendation.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx

Old 05-07-2010, 04:22 PM

I agree; you get what you pay for. So I try to avoid generic/cheaper parts when I can. I usually stick to either OEM or Napa. Autozone and Advance parts have been known to fail on me. Though they offer good warranties. It's a trade off lol.

So far I've heard that I need 1.6 quarts, 2 3/4 quarts, 2.4 quarts, and at least 3 quarts of ATF for a change lol. As far as checking the fluid level, does the Civic have a dipstick on the trans? I know some cars do, and others don't. I'll admit that this is my first Honda so I'm very new to all this. Thank you guys for bearing with me through all this. I bought a Haynes online, but it won't get here before the weekend :\.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Edit: Looks like it's 2.8 qts according to service manual for anyone who's curious .

Old 05-15-2010, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

A word about the plugs. NGK V-groove are pretty much spot-on as far as gap. I always check mine before installing, but out of 4 plugs, if I have to adjust 2 I got unlucky. Usually I have to adjust 1 (if at all).

good luck with the new wheels!