Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Good tools?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Good tools?

Cool. You will not regreet getting the Crafstman. I swear if you dont lose them, you will have them when you die. LOL

Old 09-08-2007, 05:14 PM

Very wise choice, my friend. Craftsman tools are the cheapest you can buy. Why? You can either buy Craftsman tools now, OR buy el cheapo tools, have them all break,then go out and buy Craftsman tools that last forever. You just saved yourself the cost of el cheapo tools.

I just upgraded my 12-pt sockets to 6-pt impacts, and was able to change a timing belt on a '92 Civic (where practically every bolt required a breaker/cheater bar) without breaking a single tool. Craftsman makes damn good tools!

Old 09-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya craftsman or snapon........

spend the money the first time and save ALOT OF HASSLES!!!!!!!
same for sockets as it is with visgrips, pliers, hand wrenches......

only way your gonna break one of them is if you working on something thats REALY STUCK or your trying REALY hard to break them. LMFAO

i use visgrips quite a bit from old rusted or striped bolts and those cheapies ya buy at autozone and other places and basicaly the bolts are harder than the steel on those cheap @ss visgrips! i bought 2 sets before and NEITHER would lock onto this little bolt...... went home and got my dads craftsman visgrips and it took it off the first try!

buy the good stuff and KEEP the good stuff forever....... my grandpa had abunch of old @ss craftsman wrenches and besides some dirty looking tools they still in great condition for the ammount of use they have gone thru!

think about it.... cheap sockets.... will round the heads right off of bolts and nuts striping them WAY to easily... or they snap with your first semi stuck bolt.....

well in short buy the good stuff. im sure EVERYONE will agree!!!!!!! ive only got 1 set of mid grade wrenches and main reason i bought them was for the case and all that came with them. had them for about 4years now and its al good still but i still spent like 90bucks on the set of wrenches....
if ya dont as soon as ya strip or snap one socket youll wish ya spent the extra money!
always cheaper to buy a full socket set...

Old 09-08-2007, 07:59 PM

craftsman if u dont have enough for snap-on. craftsman stuff is good, good price and alot of their stuff is life-time warranty. snap-on justhas a slightly better reputation from mechanics and such. ill vouch for snap-on, use their tools at my school and their great. will prolly get a huge set of tools from them very soon, gota love a 52% discount

Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer
gota love a 52% discount
Yeah, the "tech-school" discount? I am getting a huge discount on the welder I am buying. LOL I love it!

Old 09-08-2007, 10:55 PM
HCF Member

damn i wish i can get discounts on tools, but anywayz, like everybody already said, if you're a lil tight on the budget, craftsman is the answer, dont ever cheap out on tools like i used to, i have spent so much on cheap tools that i couldve bought all of the snap on tool sets lol

Old 09-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

good name brands are, snap-on, mac, matco, cornwell, sears, napa tools, harbor freight has some good hand tools for cheap. they last quiet a while to if you use them for what there intended

Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: haole

I need to buy a socket set. Anyone have suggestions where i can find some good cheap tools?

Thanks
Try buying used on Ebay.

Just get something easy to find that has a lifetime warranty. I don't see the point in spending more than what Craftsman tools cost. I've broken all kinds of tools, and if you have a warranty as good as Craftsman, you just exchange the broken one for a new one. No Sears has ever asked me questions. If you buy new at Sears, join the Craftsman Club and watch the sales.

I have a Sears right at the end of my street, so my selection of Craftsman tools is a no-brainer. You can also buy them online, new or used. I think Home Depot sells aline of Husky tools with a similar warranty, but check it out before you buy.

SnapOn makes some good tools, but they may be more difficult/expensive to aquire. I see no need for something like that unless you're going pro.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

If you want my opinion, Snap On and Mac Tools are on the top... Then I put Crafstman, Mastercraft, Husky on the same level. Craftsman > Sears Mastercraft > Canadian Tire Husky > Home Depot

I got a 700$ set for 250$ at Canadian Tire. I got all sockets, short reach long reach 6 points 12 points metrics and standards... + Some screwdrivers (crappy ones) + long and short wrenches....

Crafstman, Mastercraft or Husky will be good for sockets and wrenches. But I would suggest snap on for screwdrivers and mabye for the ratchets too... Altought I'm good with my Mastercraft ratchet, I just like the snap on better

BTW The snap on screwdrivers are awesome, if you can get the set with the soft handle... awesome grip!