Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

gas pumping out of filler neck

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Default gas pumping out of filler neck

I have a 95 civic ex coupe with v-tec and automatic. My wife filled up with gas and drove about 30 miles and when she stopped, she noticed gas running out of the filler neck area. Took gas cap off and it looked like it was being pumped out, would not stop! I'm trouble shooting by phone, the engine was off, key was off, just kept running out. I had her put gas-cap back on and it still was running out. I had her listen to see if fuel-pump sounded like it was running, it was not. I had her turn the key on and it pumped gas out WORSE. I drove to where she was and when I got there, it had lost 1/2 tank, but had stopped leaking out. I started the engine and it was pushing fuel out of the filler neck, and was making a gurgling noise. Put gas-cap on tight while it was running and took it back off after about 1 minute and it seemed to have a lot of pressure, but had stopped running out on to the ground. I did a search and did not see this problem anywhere. Sorry for the long post, but does anyone have any ideas about what would cause this? EVAC system? Fuel pump? Heat?( it was 105 degrees outside) Thanks in advance.