Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Gas Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Default Gas Light

I have an '01 civic LX and Im trying to figure out the MPG. I know how to calculate but I need to know how many gallons of fuel is in the tank when the gas light comes on. Please don't guess.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Gas Light

fill the tank up all the way, reset of the trip odometer, drive until like 3/4 of the tank is gone, then fill it back up. Dive the number of miles on the trip odometer by the amount of gas you had to put in to fill it back up, there ya go.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

Scuba...

Do what Flip says a few times first so you can figure out your MPG. Knowing how much gas is left in the tank isn't really going to help you calculate MPG.

But, if wanting to know how much is left is something you just have to know try this. If you are getting a good feel for your average gas milage, write down the odometer reading when the light comes on, then go fill it up. Keep track of how far it is to the station so you can back that out of your calclations. If you do this enough times you should get a real accurate number of what's left in the tank when the light comes on.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:05 PM

first it would because i could subtract the gallons left in the tank then divide what was left by how many miles i drove.
second i just want to know just to know.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

you dont need to know how much is left in the tank.... just do what flip said.... fill, reset odometer, drive... fill.... divide miles by gallons on second fill. its not going to be perfect... but it will give you pretty close, and if you want do it a couple times and take the average

Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
gwl
HCF Member

If you really want to know how much gas or even miles you can go AFTER the light. You must get a good amount data to be accurate. Reset odometer when you fill your tank. When you need gas up again, use the same pump, record the miles and the amount gas you used. I would probably do it for at least a month. Add all the miles and the gallons of gas,divide the miles by gallons to getyour MPG. If you get around 30 miles per gallon, on a 12 gallon tank, you get around 360 miles per tank. So if your light turns on when your odometer is at 300 miles, you should have two gallons left or 60 miles to go. You need to know what is the capacity of your gas tank.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM

problem solved !! it has a 13.3 gallon tank. and my gas light came one at 11.4 gallons.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

I think all gas lights are supposed to come on when you have 50 miles left till your out of gas

Old 04-10-2008, 11:07 AM

mine comes on with anywhere from 2-3ish gallons left

sometimes it'll come on one day and turn off the next, or when you go up a steep hill it might come on if you're close

Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 AM

at least your cars have gas lights. My 93 civic doesn't but i fill it up when i get close to Empty.

Quick Reply: Gas Light