Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Gas Gauage and Dome Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Default Gas Gauage and Dome Light

ok i have a 96' civic lx and my gas gauge and interior dome light will not work please help me with any suggestions.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Gas Gauage and Dome Light

The two problems would not be related. The dome light is usually the bulb or the fixture in the ceiling.

On the gas gauge, take the bottom cushion of the back seat out to get at the gas tank wiring. Unplug the harness to the gas tank and with the key on (though engine will not run, because you've disconnected the fuel pump), jump the gas gauge wire to ground. Gauge should move to read full with the wire grounded and empty with it open. If that test passes you need to replace the sender in the gas tank. If not it is probably the gauge itself in the dash.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM

ok ill try that for the gas gauge but it almost always reads full right now. for the dome light it works when i turn it ot on but not when it is set to door could it be a fuse?? and if so could someone with a 96 civic lx send me a pict of the fuse diagram the piece is missing off mine and i cant find it online thx

Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If it always reads full it should go to empty when you pull the plug under the back seat and turn the key on. That would mean the sensor in the tank is shorted out or stuck.

Since the light comes on sometimes, it isn't the fuse. It's either the on/door/off switch which is part of the lamp assembly, or the wiring to the doors. It doesn't come on when you open any of the doors? If it's just the driver's door but the other one turns it on, then it'd be the door switch.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 AM

no it does not ever come o when i open any of the doors so it must be the off/door/on switch thx for the help.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I see you have a 96 model. Reading a little further into this site, I see what may be your answer in the DIY Interior forum. The command to turn on the dome light when a door is opened passes thru the radio. If you don't have the factory radio, the wiring needs to be modified slightly to bypass it.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

I see you have a 96 model. Reading a little further into this site, I see what may be your answer in the DIY Interior forum. The command to turn on the dome light when a door is opened passes thru the radio. If you don't have the factory radio, the wiring needs to be modified slightly to bypass it.

This happened with me .. w/e shop wired my radio didnt wire the light right is there a diagram to wire it right? cuz i wouldnt know where to start.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

always check fuses when you have electrical problems, 99% of the time, it's your problem.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:04 PM

i tried that but the panel that covers the fuses inside the car is gone and i can;t find the diagram to find out what fuse is for what

Old 06-10-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

sounds like you have a trip to the junkyard in the future

Quick Reply: Gas Gauage and Dome Light