Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

fuel pump cutoff switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:32 PM
HCF Member
Default fuel pump cutoff switch

ok so i had a car stolen once, now to prevent this on my new civic i have devised a fuel pump cut off switch i just want to make sure its gonna work before i go cut the cars electrical system

so i have a 95 civic dx
main relay is under the dash on the left
i believe it is the yellow and white switch that runs from the battery to the relay so in theory all i have to do is cut it strip it run wire to my secret spot in the car where the switch will be(im thinking under the drivers seat or under the shift boot) any ideas would help then run it back and in theory that should stop the fuel pump from comming on and the car will stop
thus my car will never be stolen again.

if the colour of the wire is incorrect let me know but im almost 99% sure thats the one to the battery that energizes the relay

im also going to put a red led ontop of the steering coloum letting me know the switch has been activated

Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i just cut the 1 wire right on the fuel pump myself....
just get creative with the switch or a key infact....

heres mine.... mines creative and custom... without that exact piece they will neverget the car started.LOL but remember if they simply tow your car.... of course they still get your car best protection for theft is get full coverage insurance! so when it happens your covered!!!!!
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=68897

Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM
HCF Member

The "Advanced" kill switch will work for any 88-95 Civic/CRX/DelSol.
Difficulty level ***

Advantages: speedometer/odometer function, works on more cars.

Disadvantages: takes longer to kill the engine (startup is still very quick though).
This version is only slightly more difficult than the "basic" switch.
It does not have the instantaneous "kill" of the basic switch, but the speedometer/odometer is unaffected.

Parts List:
-Interruptor Switch
-Two lengths (about 2') of 16-14awg wire
-Female spade connectors (4)
-Male spade connectors (2)
-Heat shrink tubing (preferred) or electrical tape.

Mounting the switch remains the same. The only difference is in the wiring under the dash.
This time we will begin by prying up the drivers side scuff plate.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426 and weights 69KB.

Now look just under the carpet, there should be a long skinny black plastic conduit box. If you pry open the conduit you should see a plethora of multi-colored wires.

If you have a 92-95 Civic you'll be looking for the only yellow wire with a green stripe on it, it should also have small silver dots. This wire will henceforth be known as the fuel pump wire For all of you 88-91 Civic folks, you're looking for the yellow wire with a black stripe (may also have dots) This too will henceforth be known as the fuel pump wire Separate the fuel pump wire from the rest and cut it about 1/3 of the way from the front (firewall) side of the conduit.

Now you'll need to put a female spade connector on one end of the fuel pump wire (seen above) and a male spade connector on the other end of the fuel pump wire (seen below)

In preparing the wires that run to the switch, attach a female spade connector to one end of both wires, attach these connectors to your switch. On the other end of the wires, attach a male spade connector to one, and a female spade connector to the other.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426 and weights 36KB.

Attach the switch wire with the male connector to the female connector of the fuel pump wire, and the female connector of the switch wire to the male end of the fuel pump wire. I highly suggest that you cover all of the exposed metal of the connectors with electrical tape or preferably heat shrink tubing. This will prevent the connector from accidentally shorting out your fuel pump.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x426 and weights 52KB.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if you copy and paste a HOW TO... at least link the pictures.LOL

its not that difficult... plus your saying the speedometer works.... WTF... and it takes LONGER to kill the engine... WTF.......

all you have to do is kill the power or ground going to the fuel pump... its not that difficult.
with my (key) removed for my fuel cutoff the motor will start for 1 second and die and of course wont start up again being that theres no fuel to spark.... and i just put the (key) back in the hole and it fires right up no delay at all.

try not to make it more complicated than it really is.... PLEASE!!!!!!