Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Default Fuel problems

Hey there guys, name is Dan and I own a 1986 Honda Civic hatch. I love the car but its got a couple problems that needs fixed and not sure how to go about it.

I have owned American cars so far till now, so I am having a problem finding where things are on this car. Plus I am not the best when it comes to working on cars..

So anyway. I bought the car knowing it had a slight gas leak. It drips from it looks to be from the tank, not sure where and drips about every 5-6 seconds. It ONLY drips when its running. It doesn't leak when the car is off.

Now the second problem. My PGM-FI light is on and has been staying on. What light is that? My buddy think it has to do with something with the fuel injector. Which can make sense because she has been starting rough lately. But what is weird, she only starts rough for the first start of the day/or if she has sat in for a while between uses. Which is my next question, where is the fuel injector located on my car?? I would like to get that changed out.

But I am thinking of taking it over to out local Honda shop and having them look at the leak. See if they can fix it for a good price, because my buddy said the tank will have to be dropped. And you think it would be a good idea for them to fix the injector if it doesn't cost too much more?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the bottom cushion of the back seat out. There should be an access plate there where you can reach the connections on the top of the gas tank. The leak is probably there. It's dangerous to drive a car that has a fuel leak of any sort.

If you have fuel injection (which is fortunate, as the carb'd versions are a real bear to deal with) the car has an engine computer. The "PGM-FI" light is an early version of the now standard Check Engine light. I think there are LED's on the computer itself that indicate the trouble code. The computer should be under the carpet where the passenger's feet would be.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 AM

Yeah I was thinking about taking it to our local Honda shop today. Just don't want to get screwed...

An update though, I took it out just now and she is now dying on turns. I would make a turn at like a light or an intersection and when I get through the turn she dies... Not sure what's going on there.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It could be almost out of gas. Leaks only get worse over time, seldom better.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Well I am for sure it's my injectors. Called a few people. That's why it shakes real bad when I get on it. I am changing the spark plugs tonight anyway just in case by some miracle it's them. But the PGM-FI light is still on and the guy at Advanced Auto said it is probably my injectors.

Get this, I called a place to see if they do injectors, because I hear they suck to do. And the dude said it'd be like 365 bucks! I was like woah screw that... So I asked while I was at advanced and he pulled it up and it was like 60-70 bucks. He was confused as to why that place was saying it would be 365 bucks.

This may be stupid but how many fuel injectors do I have?