Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front end grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Default Front end grinding noise

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 99 Civic with over a 100K miles on it. I just took it on the interstate for the first time last week and was concerned about a noise I am hearing.

When I drive on the interstate for around an hour, I start to get this grinding/rubbing/sometimes squeaky noise coming from the front end. It doesn't necessarily make the noise when I turn, but when I steer through traffic only slightly turning the wheel. I have no idea what it is. When I let the car cool down for an hour or two (and go back on the interstate), the noise goes away. Then it starts back up again. Happens every time. It never happens when I'm driving around the city though.

Anyone had a similar problem? I have checked the power steering fluid (its normal) and have had a couple people think that it could be the ball joints. I had the car checked out by a mechanic when I first got it but he didn't notice anything, probably because I only get the problem when driving for a while.

tl;dr - Car makes grinding/squeaking noises on front end while driving for prolonged periods of time on the interstate, goes away after it cools down.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you press the brake pedal lightly, does it stop? If so, it's the squeaker springs telling you that the brake pads are worn out.