Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Default Front bearings

Not sure if this goes in the DIY section or here. I went and bought front wheel bearings from O'rieleys. And the ones they gave me are HUGE. I haven't looked at the ones on the car yet, but these seem too big. Here are the pics to demonstrate the size. Granted the the stones can is a little slimmer that others.

Name:  bearing2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  26.0 KB
Name:  bearing1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  32.5 KB

Are these the right bearings?

Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM

No one?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That looks like the right part. Realize that you will need a hydraulic press to R&R them, it's typically not a DIY job. They are force fit into the steering knuckles and hubs. Many DIY mechanics do take the knuckle/bearing/hub assembly off the car themselves and then take it to a shop to have the bearing pressed in.

And calling that stuff "stone" is an affront to the fine folks at Stone Brewing who make real beer.

Last edited by mk378; 05-07-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 PM

I have a 12 ton press, just did the motor mounts for my vw. Just wanted to make sure they were the right part. They look absolutely gigantic is all. Thanks for the help.

And i said "stones". It is beer, and cheap beer at that. Everyone likes what they like, I like it and it is cheap, win win for me. So is home brewing, just never gave mine a name, maybe something with bastard in the title will make it more marketable.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

I haven't pulled mine but those look right. I did one on my 1996 Nissan 200SX and it was about the same.
Do not press on the inner race. Use washers, pipe, etc to press on the outer race.
Do a front end alignment afterward. $35.00 here.
dc

Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Does this civic have a front hub that is able to be pulled out, or do i have remove the whole arm? I looked at it real quick today but didn't see any bolts to hold a hub in there.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

The general idea is, remove the axle nut, cotter pin first, and washer. Disconnect everything on spindle assembly, steering arm, upper & lower ball joints. (Brakes are already off).
Leave front wheel drive axle in place but pull spindle off it, or press it, if it won't pull.
Then you are ready to press out the old bearing and in with the new.
I may have left out a few steps or parts there. Be sure to look everything over first, then you will see the specifics.
I had an Acura with the worlds tightest axle nut. That was a real pain.
And I have had axles that would not come out of the trans. Another nightmare.
But for bearings, you do need to pull the axle, just the spindle off the end.
Good luck, and have fun. That is what it is all about.
dc
(Use a fork on the ball joints.)

Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

I just did mine last weekend with a buddy of mine. Once the steering knuckle was off, we pressed out the old bearing but had to use a 1/4 rotary tool and cut-off wheel to get the old bearings off the spindle itself. However pressing everything back together was much easier. 2 guys who are not pro mechanics, took us about 6hrs. Woulda been faster if we didn't have to absolutely destroy/cut the old bearings to get them off. And no, we couldn't see a way to press the old bearing off the center spindle (there the CV axle goes through)

not overly hard, just time consuming...

Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 AM
HCF Member

Getting the old ones out is usually a bit of a hassle.
The usual way is to put a tool or drift into the back side and bang it with a hammer. It's just a tiny edge that can be caught and you have to bang around in a circle, as it will move a little at each spot. So you just bang around until it comes out.
There are tools that can fit into the edge and then press out. Some are slide hammer type.
dc

Old 05-16-2010, 07:32 AM
HCF Member

I've got the remainder of one of the bearing races at home... I'll see if I can get a good clear pic later today. Mine were making lots of noise, and once I got them apart I could see why... Lots of pits!

*edit* photo added

Attached Thumbnails Front bearings-wheel-bearing-detail.jpg  

Last edited by SilverSedan; 05-16-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Front bearings