Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

frankenstein

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Default frankenstein

How hard is it to put a b16a head on a b20 block and into a 91 civic si hatch? Anyone done it? Is it worth it? How can I get er done? How much work is involved? I know it's a good combination and makes a lot of power. I'm doing that or a b16a lightly turbo, what would be faster?

Old 11-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Default RE: frankenstein

Unfortunately, you are mistaken. It is not a good combination. I've never done a CR/VTEC, but I've seen it done, and I've seen it fail. I did do an LS/VTEC for a guy once in his EG hatch, and it seemed to go fine, but he sold the car and moved to Colorado, so I don't know where it is now or what happened to it. Don't do it unless you know your way around it backwards and forwards and know exactly how close of an eye you have to keep on it and what you have to watch for, etc.

Do the turbo B. You'll be happier/richer in the long run.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Default RE: frankenstein

it's pretty easy. if you're mechanically inclined you can handle it.

yes.

you need everything from a to run a b series honda engine. if you have a non-vtec B then you will need a switch, preferably a v-afc to engage vtec. a b16 head, a b20 block, mounts for your chassis, tranny, axles and shafts, head gasket, machining to block or head for dowel pin or, as i would suggest, GE conversion dowel pins, plug the vtec oil feed on the head(tap and plug, not hard), a braided line from the oil pressure sensor switch to the a already exsisting hole on the head and a b18/b20 timing belt. you're looking at $1000* for everything. or you can turbo the b16..

you need to be able to do some simple wiring, remove and install an engine, buy a tap and perform a tapping, do some plumbing, replace a head gasket, spend $1000*, have a torque wrench and a knowledge of specs.

what would be faster?... well, that depends on how much money you wanna spend.. i've had a na b20vtec and i outran stock evo's, srt-4's, and lighlty modded dsm's, but i have a good amount invested.. and i'm changing to a 2ltr turbo soon.

*edit: spend $1000 if you already have a vtec engine.