Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fixing my fluids. All of 'em

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
HCF Member
Default Fixing my fluids. All of 'em

Just recently inherited a 95 civic lx from my step-brother, and he took such good care of it that I'm pretty sure a go-cart could outrun and outlive it.

So I'm trying to fix it up a little. I don't know anything, or much, about cars. This recent inheritance has just recently spiked my desire, so I'm a baby nublet.

My brake fluid is a nasty black, pretty sure it should be clear.
Washer fluid was empty, refilled.
Coolant was empty, refilled.
Not sure about the clutch fluid (is that the same as manual transaxle oil or whatever, or are they two different things. I think the manual transaxle oil is probably for the transmission, not the clutch..?)
Power steering fluid is low...

Then I became disheartened and closed the hood.
Should I just bleed all the fluids, assuming they're all old and crappy (minus the windshield fluid), or would that be a waste of time and money and should I just refill what needs to be refilled.

Also, which of these fluids would I be able to bleed at home?

Thanks guys

1995 Civic LX, no ABS, manual tranny

Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by sexypants
My brake fluid is a nasty black, pretty sure it should be clear.
Coolant was empty, refilled.
Not sure about the clutch fluid (is that the same as manual transaxle oil or whatever, or are they two different things. I think the manual transaxle oil is probably for the transmission, not the clutch..?)
Power steering fluid is low...
Does the engine have any problems running or idling? Is the CEL ON on the dash? Is there smoke coming from the exhaust?

All fluid replacement can be done at home.

-Start by draining and replacing the engine oil. Use a good 5W-30, synthetic if you can afford it.
-Check the coolant level in the radiator. Top off if low. There's a drain valve at the bottom of the radiator if you want to replace the coolant. Use premixed 50:50 coolant. Bleed the cooling system of air after refilling.
-Add only genuine Honda power steering fluid.
-The clutch fluid reservoir is to the right of the brake fluid reservoir as you face the front of the engine. Both use Dot3 brake fluid.
-There's a drain bolt at the bottom of the transmission. Use only genuine Honda manual transmission fluid.

Details for replacing these fluids can be found in the 92-95 Civic service manual (see link in my signature).

Old 10-21-2008, 01:29 PM

you can do them all at home

clutch fluid is separate from the transmission fluid. Clutch just uses brake fluid, just like the brakes. It should be clear.

transmission:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1687986

clutch:
hook up some tubing to the end of the bleed bolt on the slave cylinder on the front of the transmission. remove master clutch cylinder reservoir cap. run the tubing to a bottle or jar. loosen bleed bolt, and have someone pump the clutch (they will have to use their hand, because they'll have to pull the pedal up manually, it won't spring up like normal) and keep pouring new brake fluid into the clutch reservoir without letting it go below the MIN mark. When the fluid comes out of the bleed bolt clean and clear, keep pumping and filling a couple more times, and then tighten the bleed bolt. fill the reservoir to the MAX mark, and put the cap back on. you're done.

brakes (step 19 has instructions):
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2251647

power steering:
can't locate the DIY anywhere right now... weird

Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
HCF Member

Engine doesn't have any problems. From an untrained ear, it sounds pretty good. Starts up fine, under the hood is nasty dirty though, any suggestions for that? No CEL, no smoke, little problem with the brakes (I think there's air in the lines, taking to get the alignment fixed tomorrow and gonna have them inspect the brake system)

Awesome, I'll look at some of these things.
I also just recently picked up a haynes repair manual, so hoping that will do some justice. That the same as the service manual or?

You guys are pretty much amazing, like reese's cups or something.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:54 PM
HCF Member

for the p.s. fluid, it's suggesting honda p.s. fluid-V
is the -V significant or will any genuine honda p.s. fluid work?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM
HCF Member

the helms and the Honda service manual are way different the service manual will show you everything as were a helms or chiltons are totally worthless if ya ask me.

as for the power steering fluid go to the parts store and ask for the Honda power steering fluid. dont use anything besides that.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM

you'll have to get the PS fluid from the dealer most likely

Old 10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
you'll have to get the PS fluid from the dealer most likely
you can get it at autozone

Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by hatch46580
you can get it at autozone
dang i just keep getting screwed money wise, don't i
lol

Old 10-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you don't use the dealer power steering fluid, make sure whatever you buy is specifically labeled as suitable for Honda. Not just "most major brands."

Inspect all the brake pads and shoes to see if it needs more brake work than just fluid. Bleeding the brakes should get the old fluid and any air out. This is best done with 2 people. Be very sure the reservoir doesn't run dry, or you will have to start all over again.

I would suggest drain the radiator and refill with plain water 2 or 3 times, run the engine full of plain water some to circulate it around and get all the old stuff out. Put the heater on high when you do this. Then drain the water out and knowing the system capacity, put in half that capacity of concentrated antifreeze. Top off with plain water. You now have a 50% mixture in the system. If you tried to do this with premixed 50%, you would have to get absolutely all the water out first, which is difficult.

Quick Reply: Fixing my fluids. All of 'em