Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

few mileage, odometer issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Default few mileage, odometer issues

Last November i traded my 90 suburban for a 95 ex coupe with the 1.6 vtech straight off the board...... kind of a bad move cause i have wound up puttin alot of money into the car the last few weeks... I've replaced the o2 sensor on the manifold, valve cover seals, plugs, wires, front brake calipers & pads, both cv shafts... The o2 sensor got rid of the check engine light... I also need to prolly do a timing belt and water pump replacement....Ive done all of this and now it runs like a striped ape. It has a 12 gal tank and im only getting aorund 200 to 225 miles a tank and ive been driving it like a granny...... I do have a hole in the exhaust right before the muffler.... Could that be the bad mileage? I also talked to a buddy of mine that also owned a civic like mine and he told me I should just go ahead and cut the cat... We dont have emissions testing here so its perfectly legal, just didnt know if that was a good idea. I was also thinkin bout doing 2 1\4 inch piping on the exhaust all the way back.... I can tear into a mitubishi eclipse all day long but these civics are a foriegn language to me.... Also my odometer is stuck... all my other guages work fine.. its just stuck at 239954... To fix that would i have to get another cluster with around the same mileage or what?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: few mileage, odometer issues

well does the MPH still work? or is the whole speedo not working at all? if the MPH or milage isnt moving at all then its either the speed sensor or the speedo section of the cluster.

i had to replace my speedo section because mine went bad and wouldnt do anything. if you dont have a CEL then i would suspect the speedo part....
word of advice you can get a DX cluster alot cheaper than a EX cluster with the tach, and the speedos are the same just try and match the milage with a used cluster...
i got lucky as hell and found one on ebay that only had like 1K miles more. so it worked out great.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:28 AM
HCF Member

Fix your exhaust and clean your fuel system. Check all of your fluid levels and tire pressures. Check your brakes and bearings for drag. You should be getting at least 30MPG with that car.

Are your plugs fouling? Is your exhaust smoky?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM

everything in the cluster works fine except for the odometer..... the fuel gauge doesn't go all the way up when i fill up at the pump but im okay with that.. im sure thats the fuel sending unit..

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM

the exhaust smells a lil rich for my taste but theres no smoke and the plugs are around a month old.. i checked the plugs last week and they still look great..... and as far as drag everything was okay with brakes bearings and all that other random crap...

ORIGINAL: Kommando

Fix your exhaust and clean your fuel system. Check all of your fluid levels and tire pressures. Check your brakes and bearings for drag. You should be getting at least 30MPG with that car.

Are your plugs fouling? Is your exhaust smoky?