Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Default Engine won't turn over

Ok so here's the deal. My engine died in my 96 LX out of the blue. It won't crank at all. When I turn the key to on it clicks once and then I just get this soft whining noise. My electronics are working fine and everything seems ok, but I'm far from an expert. Any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The battery may be dead. Try a jump start. To troubleshoot, first thing would be to check the battery voltage both idle and while someone turns the key to try to start. If there is voltage (12.0 volts or more) at the battery posts, but the car isn't getting power, check the battery connections.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM
HCF Member

Have the battery tested at an autoparts store (i use autozone), they will top the battery off and do a load test to see if its good. Also, are the terminals corroded? if they are, take a wire brush, or a terminal cleaner, and scrub till its shiny, dont forget the inside of the battery cables too.

Also, check all your grounds and makes sure they are clean and tight.

Seeing how it just died out of the blue, i would say the starter is fine... however it does sound like your alternator died, pull it off and have it tested

Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 AM

I'm fairly certain that it is not that battery, since I can turn the key and my radio cuts on. Unless that could still work but not have enough to start the car? Also, is there anyway to check the alternator without removing it? My car is at work and towing is expensive.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ab96LX
I'm fairly certain that it is not that battery, since I can turn the key and my radio cuts on. Unless that could still work but not have enough to start the car? Also, is there anyway to check the alternator without removing it? My car is at work and towing is expensive.
well a radio pulls, maybe 10-15 amps at full volume, and the starter pulls a few hundred, so yes, it could still be the battery... have you tryed to jump start it?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Lol I apologize for my general lack of knowledge whatsoever. And no, I have not tried to jump it yet, I'm still waiting for the cables to show up. Is it possible that the battery needs replacing altogether? I bought the car used but it is entirely possible that it still has the original battery in it.

Last edited by ab96LX; 04-15-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: forgot to add the question
Old 04-15-2011, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

thats why i said to take it to autozone, they will charge it in a hour, then run a load test to see if it needs to be replaced

Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM

OK. The jump worked. However, once it got started there was this terrible clanking rattling noise. and there was oil in my coolant reservoir. I got about 5 miles doing around 30mph before the engine overheated and shut off. So now I have at least a blown seal somewhere that leaking oil into my engine? and whatever other damage was done by the overheat?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When you keep driving an overheated engine until it will go no more, the engine is going to be toast, i.e. in need of total replacement. Whatever was wrong with it before doesn't matter.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 AM

I dont think it was overheated before. I think the overheat was caused by the blown seal putting oil in my coolant. As soon as it overheated I turned it off and its sitting. So since it overheated I now have to replace my....radiator? I'm not too sure how to fix this.

Quick Reply: Engine won't turn over