Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine surges

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Default RE: Engine surges

the tp sensor is right there in the throttle body i am pretty sure, i have a d16y8 vtec sohc, 97 ex. I am going to try installing a genuin honda fuel filter first as the one i installed 10k ago was aftermarket, i have a newer post and someone also mentioned the distributor, i guess if the fuel filter does not address the concern I will clean up the distributor. i only have 99k on the car, that aint nothing with these.

this is whay my tp sensor looks like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Old 08-10-2004, 09:16 AM

i have already replaced the fuel filter and it did nothing...i have 200000+ on my car so it wasnt a bad thing to do anyway...its not that expensive and its and easy...i guess the next thing is the tp sensor....they dont sell them at like pepboys or discount auto do they?..if not i will probably just get one off ebay because im sure the dealer will be more$
thanks guys

Old 08-10-2004, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

my distributor went out at about 110k. they are the weak link in hondas reliability.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM

yea, just like the stock exhaust systems, so it was like $200 for a stock system or a little over $300 for the Magnaflow system and a larger pipe, that plus the hi flow cat and intake really kicked it up a notch in my car.

I will try the fuel filter, if that doesnt work, i will clean all the electrical contacts and such on the distributor, i want to do one thing at a time to source it out so i know for sure what the problem was.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:29 PM

i took the dist. cap off a while back to check for any moisture or cracks or anything and it all looked good...i think the next i will try is tp sensor and spark plug wires

Old 08-10-2004, 03:33 PM

Im gonna try the fuel filter first, then cleaning of the distributor if the fuel filter doesn't take care of it. I will keep you updated.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:58 PM

yea let me know what happens...good luck.....this problem has got to me one of the most anoying things in the world! dont you hate it!?...UGH!...well good luck and keep us updated

Old 08-11-2004, 09:35 AM

Well, I changed the Fuel Filter and it did NOT fix the problem. And between work and professional band rehersal I don't have as much time to mess with this crap. It does it most of the time and I am having my father take the car to the dealership today, again, to look at it and have them drive it until it happens. I also cleaned what I could with the distributor and it didn't do anything either.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:01 PM

Alright, here is the scoop. I took it to the Dealership and they thought it might be the coil, and if it was, they were going to do a coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and an oil change for FREE. Turns out they checked the coil and it was fine. They said the problem was an unstable ECM ground near the Thermostat housing that was causing the computer to cut out/short out and no check engine light. I had to pay $87.00 and they still did the cap, rotor, plugs, wires and oil change for free. fine with me, problem solved. thank you, drive thru!

Old 08-11-2004, 02:36 PM

yea i think im about to take mine to the dealer and let them deal with it......i just want it fixed....any idea what a diognostic test runs on a 91? $$ thanks

Quick Reply: Engine surges