Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine surges

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Default Engine surges

I was talking to polo about this and he explained a few things that it could be but maybe someone else has this problem too... some mornings and nights when it hot and muggy outside i will be driving along and my check engine light will come on and the car will just start surging like im stomping on the gas and letting off again... it happens only when its muggy in the morning and night and only when my foot is on the accelorator... im thinking electrical(ignitinon wires, plugs, distributor, ect) oh yea if i stop and turn my car off and then wait a min and turn on again it goes away but only if i wait... please help

Old 06-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Default RE: Engine surges

my check engine light will come on and the car will just start surging like im stomping on the gas and letting off again...
When you say that the check engine light comes on - does it come on steady or is it flashing on and off?

Flashing - This is called "limp mode" which mean that the ECU has sensed a problem and causes the engine to miss fire. The reason is to prevent you from causing any more damage to the engine. Shutting down and restarting will usually correct this problem until the next time it senses the problem.

The solution is to read the code stored in the ECU (probably a bad or loose sensor) and get it checked out.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:30 PM

no the check engine light will stay on... i was on my wayt to work this morning and it started and i stoped and shut the car doun like 5 times and every time i hit the gas it would come back... if i take of slowly it wont do it even if the light is on but then i think when the tranny is about to shift it does it then if i let off the gass it will stop until the next shift

Old 08-09-2004, 04:26 PM

My 97 EX does the same thing, but the check engine light does NOT come on and it doesnt matter about the weather. But if I turn the car off and back on, it's ok for a while. ALL maintenance on the car is up to date and i have 99k on the car.

My post is https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_61..._//tm.htm#6158

in case i get some possible suggestions you can refrence my post as well.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

try changing the throttle position sensor, ive seen this before, and thats how we fixed it.

Old 08-09-2004, 06:23 PM

A friend of mine that has a Ford Contour SVT put some of that Octane Boost in his car and it made his Check Engine light come on. It screwed up his catalytic converter and now he needs a new one. Not sure if it's effected his performance, but it could be something to look into if you've used that octane boost or something like it in the past.

Old 08-09-2004, 06:35 PM

hey guys thanks for the tips...i havent used any octane boosters....i talked to this guy at discout auto and he told me he had the same problem with a teg...he also said check the tp sensor...someone else told me to spray wd40 on the distributor and wires and see if that helped...i did it and it was great for about a week and now i dont know if its helping but it seems to right when i spray the wd on there...but i may have to do it like every other time i drive it....any ideas why this may be working?...also where is the tp sensor? how much will it cause...i also tried to spray ssome wd on the plugs on the intake manifold..is that the tp sensor? i thought it may be one of those and maybe when it gets moistur in it it messes up...the wd is supposed to get the moisture out...maybe thats is...i just need to know which sensor is it and how much is it..thanks

Old 08-09-2004, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

check this out.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:44 PM

thanks thats a good price...i am getting sick of this PROBLEM UGH!!!!...will that work on my motor tho it says b16,b18 civic and crx si

Old 08-10-2004, 12:31 AM
HCF Member

i think so, it says zc and crx si, thats close enough to your motor. i think most honda sensors are interchangeable. i saw another one of the same on ebay that says it fits most civics from 88-00

Quick Reply: Engine surges