Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Surge

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Default Engine Surge

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 honda civic si with the b16 motor in it. The engine is surging around 900 to 2000 rpm's when it is idling. just a bit of info about it before I get any ideas about what it could be. It is on its second engine the first had a turbo on it and it blew....someone turned the boost up to high. then secondly it was running hondata in it and now its back on the stock ecu. I just replaced the Idle control valve and the oil pressure switch and I thought that the surging could be coming because the Idle control valve was bad...apparently not. I have checked the map sensor and the TPS sensor and both seem to be working correctly. I just bought the car and the engine was put in by a guy in NC and now im in Florida. I work at sears auto in daytona and had a few guys look at it and they are puzzled too. We unpluged the idle control valve and left that off and it threw a code but the surging went to a very low surge it wasn't as erratic as it was. just maybe 200 rmp's. The check engine light isn't on right now and its not throwing any codes. I planed on bringing it to get it smoked to see if there is any vacumm leaks that the mechanic who put in the motor could have missed. Any ideas guys? thanks for the help

Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM

I found out what it was....I did a smoke test on my car and it had a leak coming from the injector seals. It was causing the erratic surge on the engine.