Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Oz
Default Engine Oil Leak

My Car is leaking engine oil after i drove it continuously over mountain road for 30 miles. pls help

it is a 94 sedan, civic lx

Old 02-20-2006, 03:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Oil Leak

A visual check is the best place to start. Pop the hood and check it with a flash light. If you don't find the leak, then put the car up on a jack (or a lift if you have one available) and check under the car for the leak. Did you see any oil dripping under the car?

Old 02-22-2006, 02:31 PM

Can you be more specific. It could be that you blew a hose, nothing too major. If you mean leaking oil as in theres a small oil deposit around your valve cover, that means you blew a gasket (either head gasket or valvecover gasket). It might not be oil at all, it oculd be engine coolant from a radiator hose, or power steering fluid, or even clutch/brake fluid. Feel free to send me a pm and ill help you out...peace

Old 02-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Oz

Thanks for the response.

I have noticed that it is the coolent (greensh color) and it is leaking at the bottom of the engine. also noticed the coolant level is going down very fast.

there is no leak at Collent Reservoir, not under the radiator . it is leaking drop by drop under the engine . you can see through bellow the hood ,from right side tier side .

Thanks
oz

Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Check around the thermostat and the upper and lower radiator hoses. Also, the heater hose also has coolant going through it. The heater hose will be coming in from the dash. Do you think there is coolant in your oil?

Old 02-22-2006, 06:22 PM

Also, take a look at your exhaust...does it look normal? If you are standing on the driver's side of the car, it could be most anything as you can see almost all of your coolant junctions from that vantage point. When you know more let us know what it is.. Good Luck

Old 02-23-2006, 01:54 PM

You most likely have a cut or some wear in a hose. Be sure to check all hoses that are attached to you coolant resevoir. The cheater way to do it is to park your car in the driveway, or over some type of concrete, and leave it running for a couple of minutes. While all the fluids in your car are going through their normal process, the break in the line or hose should be exposed. You can pretty much get on your hands and knees and look up to where the drip is coming from. You can also usually see the source of the leak where hoses or anything for that matter look really greasy, since this is where the leak hits first, it should be most noticable. Good Luck, and be sure not to run your engine without coolant, it could lead a lot more problems....peace

Old 02-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Oz

There is no oil found in the leaked spot. exhaust looks normal, . theremostat needle is not coming up when i start the car. however it works after a mile drive and it stays in the middle always.

I left the car running for 3 min. It is started leaking as soon as I start the engine and leak drop by drop under the engine (driver side) near the belts attached to the engine.

I can see the drop through under the hood near from left side tier area. but I could not see where exactly the coolant is coming from..

Do you recommed any specific coolant i should use for civic?

may i know where is the coolant junctions located??

thanks

Old 03-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Oz

hi there,

The mechanic said it is a pump leak....the total cost (labor + parts) to change the timing belt + water pump is 450$.. is that worth doing?? i need ur openion before doing it
thanks