Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

which engine mount??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Default which engine mount??

My brother recently drove my car and told me I had a bad engine mount since my shifter moved on accel. Does anyone know how to find out which mount it is???

Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 PM
HCF Member

i just replcaed all my mounts on my 91 and my shifter still moves on accel

Old 12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

Well for starters, is your car Auto or Manual? If it's Mnaul i don't know if this will work for yo or not as i don't know how to drive stick.

If it's Auto you can easily find out which Motor Mount it is simply by turning your car on and shifting between Drive and Reverse. There are two ways to check. The first option is to diagnose it yourself or the second option is to diagnose it yourself and get a second opinion.

First option is simple if you put the car in Drive or Reverse which ever one makes your car kinda give you a big push or jump (not a little one it has to be a big one), that's the one that has a bad mount. As you shift the engine does have a bad mount(s) so the car will give you a big jump or push because the engine is not in a steady and fixed spot.

The second option is also super easy but will give you a better response. Do the same thing you did in option 1 but this time have yourself or someone looking directly at the engine. When one of you shifts like in option 1 the other is looking at the engine. If you see the engine move alot back or forward in that gear that's the bad motor mount. Simple as that.

Really easy to diagnose, and might be simple or hard to do. My dad tells me he can change motor mounts as he can do basic and simple repairs such as starters and distributors but not repairs like a Timing Belt Change.

A word of advise if your gonna change a motor mount you might aswell change both of them at the same time. Save yourself double the labor charges or if you do it yourself save yourself time by not having to do the work twice...

Last edited by WILMER007; 12-30-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The shifter does move some normally, as the mounts are rubber and intended to flex.

If it moves far enough to jump out of gear, the mounts are loose. Or if the engine moves far enough that you hear banging noises under the hood (typically upon starting, or switching from forward to reverse). That means you have metal on metal contact because the rubber is gone, and some mounts need replacing.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I recently replaced all the mounts in my 2000 Civic. For excess shifter movement, check your transmission mount and rear mount. Replacing the former is pretty easy while the latter is a pain.

To get a nice view of all the motor mounts, see the engine mounts section at the Majestic Honda site:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Last edited by RonJ; 12-31-2008 at 08:12 AM.