Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine feels like 'choking' and loses power [civic lx 97]

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Default Engine feels like 'choking' and loses power [civic lx 97]

Hi,

I have a 1997 Honda Civic LX, 5spd manual.

When I'm driving normally (not flooring it) my car feels like its choking and loses RPMs. It feels like its starting to lack power. However if I floor it it goes back to normal. But if i drive it slowly pressing the gas 10-30% it starts choking... one time it did this, and it dropped about ~1500rpms and i heard some backfires underneath me (under driver seat).. put it in neutral, accelerated abit and it went back to normal.. but if i pressed gas 10-30% it still did the lack of power and such.

It does not do it 24/7, but it does it about 30-40% of the time.

I have no recent mods to it.. the only mod it has its a ebay Cold air intake from about 3 years ago.. had the cai filter changed recently.. but that problem was existent.

Someone mentioned to me to change the fuel filter.. i have changed it, but problem is still there..

anyone have any ideas?

mechanic looked at it and mentioned to me that the front motor mount is broken and should be replaced.

but if anyone has any suggestions.. let me know thanks

Last edited by nickbunyun; 08-17-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM

.. bump? .. please

Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the check engine light on? If not, make sure it passes the bulb test (should light up when you turn the key on but don't start)-- someone may have removed the bulb.

Issues like you have are usually a sensor failure that the computer is likely to detect and turn the CEL on.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Issues like you have are usually a sensor failure that the computer is likely to detect and turn the CEL on.
could explain that abit more? i'll tell my mechanic about this, but what exactly is it ?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 PM

He said that strange engine issues like the one you are experiencing can be explained by a sensor on the engine failing. If any sensor on the engine has failed or is intermittently bad, your computer will sense this and turn on your Check Engine Light (CEL). If this is the case, we need to know if your CEL actually works. Go to your car, start it up, and tell us if the orange CEL lights up for a few seconds then turns off. That tells us that the indicator light itself works.

If the light doesn't work, it means your CEL is probably "on" and there is a code stored in the computer that could give us the answer.

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 08-18-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
If this is the case, we need to know if your CEL actually works. Go to your car, start it up, and tell us if the orange CEL lights up for a few seconds then turns off. That tells us that the indicator light itself works.
Okay i turned the key, CEL came on, and after 2 sec went off.
started engine, CEL is off.

so CEL does work, but its not giving me any errors.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 PM

anyone has any idea what sensor might be ?

Old 08-20-2010, 07:19 AM

At this point, with no check engine light to go off of, I'd take it to a shop and maybe have them check things like timing.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Default manifold and catlaytic converter rough running

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your 97 civic was purchased less than 14 years ago today and has less than 150,000 miles, the cracked manifold and catalytic converter should be covered by warranty per the consent decree between Honda and the EPA.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...erhonda-cd.pdf

Don't be bullied by the Honda dealers that tell you it is not covered if it is the style that has the exhaust manifold bolted to the catalytic converter. Per pages 10 and 11 of the decree, all parts including intake, fuel metering, throttle, injection, ignition, exhaust and emissions are covered per Appendix B. Some Honda dealers are lying or have been misinformed about coverage. Take a copy of the decree to them and make Honda do what they agreed to in the decree. This is the law. If they don't cooperate, call your state attorney general and ask to talk to someone in consumer protection.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:05 PM

Bad link, bro