Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Default Engine Failure

I have a 01 Honda Civic sedan, the engine has 135k miles and had absolutely no problems, you could barely hear the engine running except for the cold air intake sucking in air. I had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube (I know now that was a big mistake, so that will be the first and last time I let someone else change my oil) and after 120 kiles the engine began knocking, power was lossed and the engine stopped. My own diagnostic was that the oil had leaked out over the 120 miles which cause the engine to seize and throw a rod. Jiffy Lube says they are not liable because of engine failure. The drain plug was half way out and oil was sprayed all over the undercarriage. A local mechanic said the same thing, and that it was obviously thier fault. Now my question is how likely is it for an engine to just fail with no prior mechanical issues?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Failure

If there wasn't enough oil in it then it doesn't matter how many miles are on it. Something will seize up and/or break.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

They are liable because they didn't put the drain plug in properly. You could do that to a brand new car and it will die in 120 miles or however far it goes before all the oil leaks out.

Though the amount they owe you is not a new engine, but a used one in equal condition to what yours was before they messed it up.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Ask the manager of Stiffy lube where he went to school, if he says The university ofMcDonalds thats why they are not responsable. Other then that talk to the corporate end of Stiffy lube. The last 2 motors i replaced at my shop the oil change places that blew them up at least paid for 75% of the job to replace the motor with a compairable junk yard engine.
Good luck !!!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

you are going to have to be forceful with them. don't let them tell you that they dont owe you anything. dont back down or you will never get anything out of it.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

You should have made the habit if someone else does your oil, ALWAYS check to make sure the plug is in there tight. When I bought my Civic new in 1999, it had about 2000 miles on it and I took it in to Jiffy Lube, and they said everything is good to go. I look it the plug and it wasn't even there, and somehow ALL the oil they just put in leaked out everywhere. If I had drove away, they would have been paying for a new car since they would have ****ed up my new car with not even 5000 on the odometer.