Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine cuts out at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:11 AM
Default Engine cuts out at low rpm

Hi all,
I got 2 problems ... The first is...
I drove to Canberra from Sydney (that's in Australia a trip of 300km at constant 120km/h). When I stopped at the first traffic lights the engine stopped. It restarted ok but kept on stalling. I had to keep the revs up at each traffic light. Next morning did same thing.
When I keep the revs on about 1500 rpm it's ok but cuts out than picks up again. I drove back to Sydney staying at or above 120km/h, That's because anything under 110km/h it would keep cutting out intermittantly. I got home ok but when I arrived to Syd it continued to cut out.
I'd like to read the ECU codes but do not know how. The car is 1990 Si crx with ZC engine totaly stock. After spending some time on google I foud few possibilities. 1/ ignition-distributor 2/Broken harness cable 3/ Brake booster (vaccum leak) To me it sounds more like the ingition problem as the cout out is very obrupt.

The second iproblem is ....
Fuel/gas smell in the cabin. When running aircon in recycled mode the smell is very dominant to the point that I have to open the window. When running in fresh mode the smell is still there but only faint....

Old 03-10-2006, 03:22 AM
Default RE: Engine cuts out at low rpm

Ok,
This morning the Engine "Check" light came on and the car went gutless (Ignition retard?) and the rpm cut out at 3100 rpm.. Got me home ok... interesting thing that when the "Check" light was on the car did not stall or cut out at all
Now that i know how to read the ecu code (Thanks to Google) I'll check it first thing tomorrow

Old 03-13-2006, 05:19 PM

similar thing happened to my car awhile, it was the MAP sensor.

then again, it might be something different for your problem.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:05 PM

Check the contacts on the distributer. Check out what happened to me:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_183118/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: Arnold

Hi all,
I got 2 problems ... The first is...
I drove to Canberra from Sydney (that's in Australia a trip of 300km at constant 120km/h). When I stopped at the first traffic lights the engine stopped. It restarted ok but kept on stalling. I had to keep the revs up at each traffic light. Next morning did same thing.
When I keep the revs on about 1500 rpm it's ok but cuts out than picks up again. I drove back to Sydney staying at or above 120km/h, That's because anything under 110km/h it would keep cutting out intermittantly. I got home ok but when I arrived to Syd it continued to cut out.
I'd like to read the ECU codes but do not know how. The car is 1990 Si crx with ZC engine totaly stock. After spending some time on google I foud few possibilities. 1/ ignition-distributor 2/Broken harness cable 3/ Brake booster (vaccum leak) To me it sounds more like the ingition problem as the cout out is very obrupt.

The second iproblem is ....
Fuel/gas smell in the cabin. When running aircon in recycled mode the smell is very dominant to the point that I have to open the window. When running in fresh mode the smell is still there but only faint....

Old 03-18-2006, 02:18 AM

Thanks for all your input.
The fault code was "4" which means crank angle sensor fault.. Which happens to be inside the distributor.. Upon inspection the sensor coils were totaly burned out. AU$380.00 later and new distibutor installed .. Problem solved.... Still have the gas smell inb the cabin. I'll be checking it out tonight as i believe thet it's actually comming from the rear od the car near the gas tank..

Old 03-19-2006, 05:22 AM

Noup, Gass tank is ok,, Funny thing happened the other day, stopped the car at the Gas station, after few minutes and it would not start as if starved for fuel.. after clicking the ignition on/off few times it started but very rough than died. So fter few more on/off's it started ok and never missbehaved again. Though at the time I could smell fuel distintively. Already replaced the hose before the Fuel filter. perhaps leaky injector rail or pressure regulator. Will keep you posted.
Allways Open for ideas though!!!