Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Default Engine cuts out

Hello again guys,

An update on my Civic 1.6i SL 97.

When I bought the car, it revved high. My friend told me this is probably because, if the revs were set normal the engine would turn off (cos there are other problems). Well, I took the car to my friend mechanic, he cleaned the IACV with carb cleaner and revs went down. After this however, every so often I drive the car it just shuts down and sometimes wouldn't start either. At one points revs were going up and down between 1,000 rpm and 1,800 rpm. I've disconnected the TPS, car was still revving abnormally andNO CEL light on the car at all.

I got no idea what this could be, even after cleaning and running a couple of tests

My petrol gauge seems to be broken too. I bought a pile of crap lmao, dammit.

Any help is deeply appreciated. TY guys

Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 AM
Default RE: Poorly Car!

Sorry if double posting is not allowed. Just found a clue and thought it might be the Fuel Pump Main Relay?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah when you have intermittent crank but no start the main relay is a prime suspect. Pull it and resolder it.

Someone may have taken the bulb out of the CEL. Does it come on when you turn the key on but don't start?

I think those have another mechanical air valve ("air assist valve") on the thermostat that controls idling speed as well. Any vacuum leak will lead to high idle speed.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks for your reply,

I got my mechanic friend round my house and he fixed the idle revs He just took the IACV off and cleaned it. The air inlet bit that opens and closes was stiff.

Now... I have a new problem

Car starts fine, runs well, idle's ok. Drive around for a bit, let the engine get hot and BOOM, engine cuts off. Try start it straight after and no luck. Leave it 1 min or 2 and it starts, then 2 minutes later cuts off The temp gauge doesn't reach hot it's normal temp!

I dunno if this is a heat issue?

Thanks again!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Did you ever fix the problem? Was it the Main relay? Tell us the result please.