Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Electrical wiring issue, pretty simple just don't know...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 PM
HCF Member
Default Electrical wiring issue, pretty simple just don't know...

89 DX hatchback
Decided to put an integra center console in it...
Having issues wiring up the cig lighter and the ash tray light.
4 wires on the Teg console harness, red red/blk blk and white/blu
2 on the civic harness. White/blu and blk
Blk is ground, white/blu is for cig part... just gotta move those around a bit and that works, but the teg harness is silly. here's what I mean...
Name:  sspx0012.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  91.9 KB

The light circuit is complicated, for me anyways.
There is a red wire on the far left, red/blk in the middle. ground is on the right of course.

What should the red and red/blk be hooked up to?

There is also a red/blk wire coming from the stereo harness that I have left over...

Name:  sspx0010.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  65.9 KB

It is apparently 3 red wires coming into one.
If anyone knows, or can guide me... please, I want to have a fully functioning dash!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

http://www.fourthgenhatch.net/integraconsole.html
found this link

says this:
IMPORTANT: Your Cig Lighter will not work since the Integra and Civic wire harness is difference. It is easy to fix though. Cut the old Harness Clip off of the Civic Cig Lighter. Now just solder the black wires together to the black wire of the clip, and the red wires and or white wire together to the red wire on the clip. It will now clip and should work right. I added a long piece of wire to make it easier to to clip in since a short wire would of course be harder to do.
i can't figure out what he is trying to say. solder the white/blu to the red? and then the red/blk to the blk?
So red+white/blu and red/blk+blk?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's two independent circuits. Connect the red and red-black to the light bulb(s). The lighter socket power is the white-blue (center pin) and black (ground).

Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 AM
HCF Member

lighter socket - blue wht
ground - black
i got that park
so... ms paint time!
Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  65.4 KB

it's just that one wire i don't know, i don't want to blow the bulbs... i think it's the red blk.
that black tube thing leads to another bulb by the way.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The red - black wires are power from the light switch. The solid red wires return to ground through the dimmer control.

If you use the red-black from the radio to one side of the bulbs and ground the other side of the bulbs that will work; but the bulbs will light full brightness all the time the light switch is on. To make the dimmer work you need to tap into the solid red wire in your car, there should be one on the heater control panel.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The red - black wires are power from the light switch. The solid red wires return to ground through the dimmer control.

If you use the red-black from the radio to one side of the bulbs and ground the other side of the bulbs that will work; but the bulbs will light full brightness all the time the light switch is on. To make the dimmer work you need to tap into the solid red wire in your car, there should be one on the heater control panel.
Okay, I think I've got it! Thanks so much, again!