Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

electrical issues....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Default electrical issues....

wht's up people?.....Have a 90 civic hatch si.... had an fender bender. had to replace rad, bumper, basically everything be hide to bumper,but just only did the rad..now had some electric issues, had fixed by a mech.( he said it was my alarm, he ripped it out and still had issue(i had remote start on there too..,but for some reason back....the one thing that has me crazy is that one day it will start and the next day it wont, so i'm not driving it now.... when it does start, it starts great, but after about a couple of minutes if i hit the hazards or the turning signals, dash goes crazy, ( temp meter goes up super fast same with the gas guage).. when it does come on, the radio doesn't turn on.. Now when i try messing with the car like today, after the key out of the ignition the dash lights like the seat belts , door, batt, those lights kind of stay lit, but when i pull just the radio fuse, it all goes out..the ecu light does the same thing to..I'm pissed that my car aint on the road..i love my car and don't wanna get a new car....Help me out people.... need more info ask i'll provide what i can....also can a bad ecu cause this....? sorry about it being so long. but didn't wanna leave anything out.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like a bad ground wire. Check whether the black ground wire for the turn signal/hazard relay has continuity with ground.

Name:  picture_2575.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  61.9 KB

Old 05-11-2009, 01:59 PM

thanks will try,but will that cause all the issue.. not good with a meter,so what exactly am i doing and what am i looking for and wheres that relay at.............

Last edited by justmaleo; 05-11-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Possibly. Set the multimeter to measure resistance (Ohms) or continuity, depending on the multimeter. Remove the relay from the dash fuse box and touch one probe to the dash fuse box terminal corresponding to the black ground wire and the other probe to a metallic part of the dash frame. You should measure no resistance (=continuity).

Name:  picture_2587.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  83.4 KB

Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Id say bad ground too. I had a little fender bender when a guy hit me and ran. Next week or two my car was going crazy. Ended up making sure all my grounds were good and tightened my alternator belt and havent had a problem since.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 PM

man,will try that hopefully tomorrow,two jobs a daughter...no time.....I'm this close to getting an XB......I appreciate the picture too.....I'll keep you posted.......one more thing.. tranny sometimes pops out of gears mainly two n three...any input on that....Thanks again.....

Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 AM
FRZ
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Possibly. Set the multimeter to measure resistance (Ohms) or continuity, depending on the multimeter.
I was wondering how to do this and I was gonna start a new thread so, I am glad I found it, thanks. My digital multimeter doesn't have a continuity section and I got it at autozone.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Pulling the radio fuse is a pretty good clue- check for shorts behind the radio. I assume it is an aftermarket radio, sometimes they are installed rather shoddily. Like the other said, the grounds behind the dash are also a prime suspect. Do all the lights on the outside of the car work properly? There may be frayed wires or improper rewiring where the crash was.