Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Drum Emergency Brake Not Releasing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 AM
HCF Member
Default Drum Emergency Brake Not Releasing

Out of the blue my emergency brake (especially on the passenger side)suddenly started sticking and not wanting to release. The brakes were also suddenly hyper sensative. When I tapped the pedal the rear brakes would lock up. I took the passenger side rear hub off to see if there was anything obviously wrong. Other than the incredible amount of brake dust.... everything looked to be in good working order. I dumped the dust out of the hub and used compressed air to blow the brake dust off the rest of the parts. While I was putting the tire back on ,I noticed that the tire was ruined. It had irregular wear in spots that went almost to the wires. I took the car to the local dealership and they charged me almost $100.00 to clean the brake dust out of the rear hubs. Man was I angry. I wish I had of known that the brake hubs full of brake dust was the only thing that was wrong. it made me especially angry because I had already cleaned one side.
Shortly after that experience, I found my way here. If I had of known about this website I would have joined years ago and probably saved myself hundreds of dollars. I have a respectably stocked toolbox and I enjoy tinkering. This civic is different from anything else that I have wrenched on but I will get the hang of it.
I Hope my emergency brake story helps someone avoid the same needless trip to a dealership that I made.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:19 AM
HCF Member

do you mean that the brake dust caused the rear brakes to seize?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:44 AM
HCF Member

yes exactly. I am not talking about a little bit of dust... you had to see the amount of brake dust with your own eyes to beleive it.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Instead of using compressed air to blow out brake dust, use the water hose to keep down the hazardous dust. I do this all the time.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

The best thing to use is non-chlorinated brake cleaner, to clean brake parts.