Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Drum Breaks are Breaking My Balls

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

did you grease the adjuster and cap? if you didnt grease the threads and the cap then id highly sugest you pull them off again and clean and grease those parts! the cleves and the bolt.... best to unthread the whole piece, clean it with some brake cleaner and then with some thick grease put it all over the threads and then screw it back into the cleves and pull the cap off as well and clean it and put some grease into the cap and push it back on and wip off any access grease. keeping that part greased really well will help ALOT for the adjusters so they can easily automaticaly adjust like there were designed for!
my first brake job i did on my 66impala, all 4 wheels drums and i didnt grease those adjuster bolts and cap and after awhile the braking power gave out since it wouldnt adjust. had to pull them all off again adjust them and that time i greased the adjusters. no far going 8year and still havent had any problem with its brakes, and still going... tho i dont drive it that much anymore.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

I made sure to grease the clevis cap and the threads with high temp grease. My shop manual tells you to do so about 5 times lol.

Oh and the springs were just a little longer than the new ones. The top spring (the longest) was about a centimeter longer. The adjuster spring was about the same length, and the bottom spring was slightly longer. Although you could really feel the difference between the new and old springs when stretched.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

cool! nice job.

got any pics of your car? and where in indy are ya located? j/w im off west side of indianapolis.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

FYI - the rear shoes are the same (ie the shoes - primary and seconday are the same) most cars have different primary and secondary. So if all four shoes in the box are not the same then you have the WRONG shoes.